What you reckon these arches are....

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What you reckon these arches are....

Post by balou »

To be honest I'm not really sure what they are. I found this patch of arches while trolling and pulled up with the electric on the money. First drop triple hook up with 2 big queenies landed. We dropped again and had another triple and landed a nice jewie. Dropped again and had 3 line failures after hooking up. Everyone was fantically ringing up and As soon as bait went down it was a fish, snipped off or blown away. Big queenies swimming under boat and following up baits and we also saw a sail fish.

In the hour long mayhem we landed jewies, landed goldies , Macks and queenies. We also lost about 25 rigs.

I reckon the top layer were queenie/mac and Jew/goldies on the bottom.

Plague per portion of shark at long lost at the moment . Do they show up of sounders with no swim bladders?

Here a couple photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Nice work mate!
Absolutely sharks show up on the sounder. Your sounder is displaying a density, swim bladder or no swim bladder.
Bluewater Dreamin'
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yep. Its the return ignal that your sounder picks up. Havent you ever seen your lure show up on the screen?
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

mako wrote:"ARCHES", well then they can only be "ARCHER" fish. :D
lWell done, Mako.

If you forget the arches and look at the bottom, you'll see that the hard bottom also has a vertical wavey line on it.

That's the effect you see as you travel slowly in some slight swell. The transducer goes up and down in the swell with the height of the rise and fall directly proportional to the height of the swell.

The distance between the peaks and troughs of the wavey line is directly proportional to the speed at which the boat is travelling.

Hence the comment about travelling slowly which you confirmed as trolling.

In addition the slower that you go means that repeated sounder signals (at 200 khz in this case) take longer to pass over the length of the fish therefore the return signals will show up as longer than travelling at speed.

If no swell/waves and stationary, a fish swimming past will show up as a flat long line.

Looks impressive though. Perhaps a view of an octopus making love to a set of bagpipes

Combine the 2 (swell and slow speed) and you have longer returns with the classic arched return now having the up-down wavey swell line superimposed on it. Hence the comment about longer fish (mainly queenies and jew as it turned out)
Regards
Ronje
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yep, same if you get a smallish fish hanging right under the boat travelling at the same speed/drift as you, they look like crocs but may only be 500mm long.

I know people who reckon they can tell what type of fish they see but the best way is to pull one up.

recently at Bowra shoals, I was drifting and marked a fish. dropped a jig and bam - big trickie.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

balou wrote:To be honest I'm not really sure what they are. I found this patch of arches while trolling and pulled up with the electric on the money. First drop triple hook up with 2 big queenies landed. We dropped again and had another triple and landed a nice jewie. Dropped again and had 3 line failures after hooking up. Everyone was fantically ringing up and As soon as bait went down it was a fish, snipped off or blown away. Big queenies swimming under boat and following up baits and we also saw a sail fish.

In the hour long mayhem we landed jewies, landed goldies , Macks and queenies. We also lost about 25 rigs.

I reckon the top layer were queenie/mac and Jew/goldies on the bottom.

Plague per portion of shark at long lost at the moment . Do they show up of sounders with no swim bladders?

Here a couple photos

Tran we went through this years ago. Loose the cotton
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Wow, what a school! I think you accidentally left out the GPS coordinates, PM them to me if you want :P
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Had my hds 10 for 3-4 years and always struggled to mark and find fish . Most of the time there never anything there after good showing of arches . Strike rate was fairly low.

My old Garmin 198c was amazing. When arches appear you guaranteed to land fish cause the thing was that old and registered when there's a s...ts loads of fish. Most of my honey holes were found using this sounder.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

ronje wrote:
mako wrote:"ARCHES", well then they can only be "ARCHER" fish. :D
lWell done, Mako.

If you forget the arches and look at the bottom, you'll see that the hard bottom also has a vertical wavey line on it.

That's the effect you see as you travel slowly in some slight swell. The transducer goes up and down in the swell with the height of the rise and fall directly proportional to the height of the swell.

The distance between the peaks and troughs of the wavey line is directly proportional to the speed at which the boat is travelling.

Hence the comment about travelling slowly which you confirmed as trolling.

In addition the slower that you go means that repeated sounder signals (at 200 khz in this case) take longer to pass over the length of the fish therefore the return signals will show up as longer than travelling at speed.

If no swell/waves and stationary, a fish swimming past will show up as a flat long line.

Looks impressive though. Perhaps a view of an octopus making love to a set of bagpipes

Combine the 2 (swell and slow speed) and you have longer returns with the classic arched return now having the up-down wavey swell line superimposed on it. Hence the comment about longer fish (mainly queenies and jew as it turned out)
Great analysis Ronje, makes a lot sense what you are saying.

We were anchored at the time but was a bit of a swell.