"Territory Proofing" an Aluminium I Beam Trailer

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: "Territory Proofing" an Aluminium I Beam Trailer

Post by theodosius »

Wow, I'd be too scared a tyre would come off (and my trailer only has 2 wheels)

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Jackh wrote:I think if the Telwater trailers were a little better engineered then some of the issues would be resolved. Example, where the cross beams bolt to the I beam, the edge distance from the hole for the cross beams to the end of the beam was increased then it would give it more strength( this is where it cracked). Also there is excess holes drilled in the trailer which I beleive were a mistake, this issue can be fixed by a close tolerence bolt. It just seems the trailer was built with an axe. I was also thinking how hard it would be to build an independent suspension system similar to a camper trailer set up. Just some of the ideas I have.
The extra holes are there so that the axle base can be easily moved depending on tow ball weight. The trailers are mass produced to suit a variety of hulls and the weight of each rig is different. On one model or size boat the axle can be left further back down the frame of the trailer and on others it needs to be moved forward so no the holes are not a mistake but a manifacturing designe thing.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Edo wrote:have you had any pop off the rim at that pressure mate?
theodosius wrote:Wow, I'd be too scared a tyre would come off (and my trailer only has 2 wheels)
Nah, more scared of dinting a rim but has never happened. Not like you're hanging it sideways into corners.

I guess the low pressure confidence comes from my 4x4ing days. Doing heaps of silly stuff @ 15psi in a heavy patrol.

TBH I just let around a minute worth of air out. Ends up around 15-17 psi when i pump them back up back in town.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Rumluck
Maark
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maark »

Have you explored tyre pressure? If you've got light truck tyres pumped up as per tyre manufacturer it would put a lot of stress on your trailer. I've got an off the shelf Renegade (with I beam trailer) and run the tyres at lower pressure than tyre manufacturers recommendation to absorb the bumps.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

I always drop my trailer tyre pressure as well! Not to 15psi though unless I am spending time in the sand. For higher speed dirt and corrugations I go to about 25 - 28 psi.
No matter where you go, there you are!