Motorguide electrolysis

Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Motorguide electrolysis

Post by Marro »

In April last year I purchased a new 55lb Motorguide electric. Earlier this year I noticed electrolysis was occurring around the casing immediately behind the prop. I took the motor to Boatland, where I bought it, and they sent a number of photos off to Mercury. Mercury responded, as passed on to me by Boatland, that they wouldn't be taking any action. Boatland then advised me that if I wished to pursue the matter I would have to deal direct with Mercury which I have now been doing for the past 3-4 months. The problem is Mercury refuse to reply to any of my e-mails. Since then the electrolysis has spread over the entire casing behind the prop. Fortunately there is no sign of electrolysis around the motor casing. Whilst the electrolysis is concerning the thing that really pisses me off is Mercurys failure to ever acknowledge receipt of my e-mails. Ive now got to the point where I don't really know what to do from here so I thought I would see if any other motorguide owners have had similar electrolysis issues.

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Motorguide electrolysis

Post by Jer »

Speak with Consumer Affairs for some advice regarding Mercury's inability to respond to your queries.

http://www.consumeraffairs.nt.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

Mine had the same thing but bought it from In and outboard marine. Replaced no questions asked after they took photos of the wiring and found that it was done correctly. There have been multiple exchanges there.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Its un usual for them to knock back warranty. Majority of the ones sold at in and outboard that i know of have been warranted fairly easily. Cant see why it would be any different from any one else as they all go back through mercury. Maybe phone them direct if possible.

On a side note the new motor guides hopefully should have this problem solved as they are upgrading the materials used on the housings and changing the powder coating to correct the bubbling of the paint ect.

my 55lb that i won from the sea dogs comp nearly 2 years ago is still going well touch wood. Its starting to bubble around the motor casing but that is mostly cosmetic and doesnt worry me so much. For how much use it has had and the conditions it works in it has done well by me so far.
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Thanks for the replies. Before contacting Consumer Affairs I thought this arvo I would have one last attempt with Boatland. They also seemed perplexed by Mercurys lack of response and have offered to approach Mercury again. So fingers crossed this story may yet have a happy ending. I'll will advise how this goes.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Marro wrote:Thanks for the replies. Before contacting Consumer Affairs I thought this arvo I would have one last attempt with Boatland. They also seemed perplexed by Mercurys lack of response and have offered to approach Mercury again. So fingers crossed this story may yet have a happy ending. I'll will advise how this goes.
Good luck. Fingers crossed for ya.
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Should have brought it from in and outboard. They have no issues replacing them, fixing them on site etc. I would put it back on boat land Winnellie and make them chase it up. They took your money so they can deal with the issues
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Mine has worked perfectly and not shown any signs of electrolysis. About 8 months ago I went to boatland to get a quote for an MG. Old mate rolled his eyes and handed me a pamplet, said the price and walked away. The price was about $50 cheaper than IOBM. on demonstrating his customer service skills i paid the extra dosh to the friendly mob at in and out ya pocket. Glad i did now. Sorry yours is playing up. Hope you get results.
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

Did you end up with a result marro?
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Luke35 wrote:Did you end up with a result marro?
Amazingly after eleven months of whinging and whining to both Boatland and Mercury, two weeks ago the steering box, shaft, and lower casing/skeg were finally replaced. She now looks brand new. I'm aware now just how wide spread this problem is which obviously forced Mercury's hand. I'm just glad it's fixed. Whilst the MG has been faultless as far as running goes the whole exercise has p...ed me off so much I'd be thinking very carefully before buying another one just in protest.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Under consumer laws, you should only have to deal with the organization where you bought it. It is up to them to sort it out to its conclusion.
Having said that, I had a mattress that squashed in the middle. I dealt with Harvey N for 6 mths. In the end I went against my advice above and went to the manufacturer. Harvey N hadn’t even made a claim with them. I dealt with the manufacturer and now have a new bed.

Consumer affairs are very interested
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

nomad wrote:Under consumer laws, you should only have to deal with the organization where you bought it. It is up to them to sort it out to its conclusion.
Having said that, I had a mattress that squashed in the middle. I dealt with Harvey N for 6 mths. In the end I went against my advice above and went to the manufacturer. Harvey N hadn’t even made a claim with them. I dealt with the manufacturer and now have a new bed.

Consumer affairs are very interested
:lolpoint: Was the SWL exceeded on the mattress, :rofl:,,oooops
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I was waiting for it!!! are you insinuating that im overweight? :lol: :lol: :lol:
It could have been from all the action its had lately:twisted:

nah. turns out they used poop materials in the construction - funny that they dont use that product anymore.
$2500 mattress should have lasted at least 10 years like the rest of them ive had.
Like they said, i dont weigh more than 2 people so it should have held up
cards
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cards »

Anon wrote:Should have brought it from in and outboard. They have no issues replacing them, fixing them on site etc. I would put it back on boat land Winnellie and make them chase it up. They took your money so they can deal with the issues
Agree with this,
I&O have been great with any issues iv had with MG and the turn around is very quick.

Post some photos of the corrosion.
Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, while you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water - I drank it!

Yours sincerely, The Opportunist!
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

cards wrote:
Post some photos of the corrosion.

The first photo is mine about 6 months ago. At this stage I hadn't noticed it was also on the steering box. The other photos come from a mate of mine from Groote who has the 80lb. His is a mess. He bought it from I&O nearly about 1 1/2 years ago. I recently visited I&O on his behalf to see what could be done and they, without question, put him on a waiting list for replacement parts. So that's positive. The down side is they were waiting on 20 sets of replacement parts for customers with this problem and the wait could be four to six months. Of the other two friends I have with MGs, one has the same problem and is also now on the "waiting list", and the other who I havent spoken to for some time, hadn't noticed any signs. So I think the message for MG owners is monitor your motor closely and should you see any signs of paint bubbling get straight to the dealer you bought it from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.