Boat/console re-wire

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Boat/console re-wire

Post by Jer »

Hi all, I re-wired my boat/console weekend before last. The original wiring in the console was pretty bad in my opinion and has always been on my to do list since buying the boat. I also re-routed the steering, throttle and wiring loom from it's old position which was in the way quite a bit to underneath the floor.

The original wiring was fairly dodgy with splices for the power and earth wiring and a fuse block that had no labels. Not all the accessories were running through the fuse block also which would have made troubleshooting any issues a little more time consuming. Now I have all the accessories except the deck wash running through a Baintech fuse block. This re-wiring effort also means I now can now fit the LED strip lighting I bought nearly a year ago.

I reckon if I had have known more about what I was doing or had all the tools and terminals I needed, I could have knocked this over in a weekend but as it stands this probably took me about three full days worth of work.

Here are some photos of my efforts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Boat/console re-wire

Post by dannett »

It looks good Jer and the best thing is you now know where everything electrical is int he boat.

I did mine, twice. The first time I used the crimps that you have but quite a few failed over time. Tools was an issue but I got a better crimping tool.

The second time through I used a different type of naked crimp. These are much better and I soldered all of joints and then applied heat shrink over. All joints are now crimped and soldered and so far it has been a far better experience.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Top job, Jer.

There have been plenty of boats straight from the sales yard not as well laid out as what you've done.

Half of the work associated with fixing stuff is in thinking the job through first.
Regards
Ronje
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Yeah good effort

wish i had the time and knowledge.

Cheers
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

dannett wrote:It looks good Jer and the best thing is you now know where everything electrical is int he boat.

I did mine, twice. The first time I used the crimps that you have but quite a few failed over time. Tools was an issue but I got a better crimping tool.

The second time through I used a different type of naked crimp. These are much better and I soldered all of joints and then applied heat shrink over. All joints are now crimped and soldered and so far it has been a far better experience.
Cheers, I'm much happier knowing which fuse is for what now. The terminals I used did pull off a couple times until I put a bit more effort in to the crimp. Hopefully the don't come apart while on the water.
Every wire to wire join is soldered and covered with heat shrink. I don't think it should be done any other way.
ronje wrote:Top job, Jer.

There have been plenty of boats straight from the sales yard not as well laid out as what you've done.

Half of the work associated with fixing stuff is in thinking the job through first.
Thanks Ronje. I probably over thought it but pretty happy with the end result.
fff1964 wrote:Yeah good effort

wish i had the time and knowledge.

Cheers
Cheers fff. It did take me some time being the first effort. I think pulling everything apart and identifying what was what took the longest.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Nice work mate....you will feel more confident now when you head out!
No matter where you go, there you are!
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

You've inspired me Jer. Your "before" shots look horribly familiar. i hope the fuse block you used (Baintech) is a good one cause I just ordered one on eBay.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Marro wrote:You've inspired me Jer. Your "before" shots look horribly familiar. i hope the fuse block you used (Baintech) is a good one cause I just ordered one on eBay.
It might get frustrating for a while but once you're finished you'll be glad to be rid of the mess that once was. The Baintech should be reasonably good, I know that Frontier Marine Services use them.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Jer I had the same problems with those preinsulated terminals, I even got the ratcheting type crimper and while better still had a few failures. I got the uninsulated terminals from Jaycar and a crimping tool. The advantage of these is there are two parts you crimp, one on the wire and the other part on the insulation. The best part is you can see straightaway that it is crimped properly and they are easy to solder over as insurance. If you are interested I can grab a picture of them for you.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Nice job. The original stuff looks like typical quintrex bodge job