East Arm

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
pratty92

East Arm

Post by pratty92 »

Hey guys, new to the forum and nt fishing. Been up here nearly a year and finally got the money up to get a boat and get into the fish. Boat had the sticker for this forum on it so I came for a look.
Anyways I launched into east arm from the ramp before the bridge on channel island road hoping for some barra. Flicked lures along the banks and the drains off mud flats for the last 2 hours of the run out and into the run in. Thought something would happen sooner or later as there was a lot of baitfish getting around and trying to hide in the shallows but didnt manage even a hint of a fish. :bs:

Wondering if its still a bit early to go for barra in the harbour?

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: East Arm

Post by theodosius »

They're there all year. I prefer the middle third of a dropping tide, especially 5 or so days after neaps
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Are you sure it was east arm? if you can see the bridge you miht have been at Palmerston ramp?
ryanfazz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ryanfazz »

Ive caught plenty in that area mate, keep at it. Gold bombers are my go-to lure for the harbour. How big were the tides?
pratty92

Post by pratty92 »

The ramp before the bridge is that Palmerston ramp?

I fished the Friday arvo low about 2.5m tides. I've heard the smaller tides are the go or is that just because it's harder to fish in the bigger tides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryanfazz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ryanfazz »

Yeah mate thats palmerston ramp and that area of water is Elizabeth river. Ive always fished a bit bigger tides in the harbour, under 2.5m you have to be a bit mindful of rocks but you'll see alot more drains and rocks to cast at, around the 6-2m swings is when I try and fish the harbour.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

https://nt.gov.au/marine/for-all-harbou ... -boat-ramp

the fish are always there. You never know until you give them a go
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

The first and second creeks on the right of the boat ramp usually produce some good barra on the start of the incoming ,you will do better with live mullet there but you can get them on lures if you work hard
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Keep at it, the barra can be there or not, or they can be feeding right in front of you and they won't bite a lure, then the next day they are grabbing lures. Perfect time of year for them, just keep exploring, you will work it out and then you'll be hooked.
pratty92

Post by pratty92 »

Cheers for the feedback. Yea I'll keep at it might have to go and grab a cast net once the casting arm gets tired time for a livie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back Eddy

Post by Back Eddy »

Mate make sure you have a Zerek Prawn or two in the kit. Handy to have as another option on those tough days.