Don Dale

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Don Dale

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendez ... 3599a48f9b

Being nice doesn't seem to stop the crime waves.

Being nasty doesn't seem to stop the crime waves.

Everyone has been screaming for action, with most offenders getting off lightly.

Now everyone is screaming for less action.

What is the answer?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Don Dale

Post by Matt Flynn »

Could be worse ... http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... beb1951940

Dunno why the story is in the lifestyle section ...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

All I have to say on the matter is that systematic abuse of anyone shouldnt be tolerated.... BUT me personally (like most of us) have made the life choice to not steel cars, break into home, steal others' belongings, bash people, spit on people, take or traffic drugs, drink drive, etc etc etc And one of many big reasons why I made that life choice was because I dont like the consequences if I was caught.

You made your bed.... lie in it
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

wonder what the cure will be to stop these little angels spitting at staff etc.
Didn't take long for the lawyer leaches to jump onboard.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I read the book Catch Me If You Can by the conman who famously pretended to be a Pan Am pilot, among other crimes.

He did time in jails and said the only place that was a deterrent was a terrible French jail that almost killed him. He said the rest didn't bother him much.

But he was a thinker. For some, a terrible jail would just make their behaviour worse.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I (like everyone else) have no idea what the solution is.
Flogging these bastards does nothing to change their behaviour. They will always be bastards.
While they were stealing, robbing, bashing people, they knew it was wrong – but they made that decision to do it. Now they have to pay.
Obviously an adult who flogs a kid is doing the wrong thing as well and they will have to pay for their actions as well.
Building a new facility wont solve the problem. They will still act up but they will have the luxury of a new facility.

The obvious ideal solution is to prevent these 8 y/o kids from wandering the streets at 3am.
Parenting you say – they don’t give a rats while their kids are out at night.
I know of parents who actively encourage their very young kids to commit robberies

The guards must also be looked after – they don’t deserve to be spat on or covered with poop while they are doing their jobs (then again plumbers get covered in poop on a regular basis)

Both govts have known about the situation for years – but being pollies, they will give pollie answers and squirm their way out of their responsibilities and just keep blaming each other’s failings.
I would like to think that this commission of inquiry will come up with some practical solutions and recommendations and not be a witch hunt. But that isn’t going to happen.
As I said, I don’t have the answers
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

No child is born bad so the big question is how did they get to where they are? Nobody excuses crime but the solution lies at the root cause. I would dare say troubled youth act out as a result of low self esteem. Abuse in detention won't fix that. Get that self esteem up and work on remedies that see youth never end up there in the first place. I think building community around the local school and sporting clubs is the first step. Give the less fortunate kids a place where they can feel safe and wanted.

I don't agree Nomad. To its credit Labor has fully owned its part in this. Gunner has made no excuses as to what has happened on their watch. He actually showed leadership in how it was handled.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I am hesitant to draw comparisons with bygone eras but it's hard not to. I was never that bader kid to get up into that sort of mischief but my overwhelming memories of what I took away from any caning at school belting at home or punishment I copped was I didn't do whatever brought it on again as it hurt. My world wasn't flooded with TV reports and reports of pretty standard parenting and school corperal punishment things being drummed in as unfair punishment and me being the victim. The things that happened on the reports from Don Dale are very wrong but even overall then I am still left wondering if the message of the easiest way to avoid a repeat stint in the place gets through to the youth. DONT DO WHATEVER IT WAS YOU DID AGAIN WHEN YOUR TIME THERE IS FINISHED. As long as this message is carried through in the enquiry and we don't end up with an advert for it not so bad in there. All that said these guys should not have any job like this ever but hey I don't see them lining up to be employed either.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I have the answer for the plastic gangsters
900mm auger and a lemon tree
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I sort of understand what you are saying but the ALP admitted to the system failures.
We used to get flogged at school but they don’t do that anymore. (not sure if this was a good thing though)
These kids often get flogged home worse than anything they ever dished out to us.
I read recently that a prison guard contracted hep b? from an inmate spitting on them. Trying to verify it
One of the kids said during the tv interview how he couldn’t help himself when he was released and it was a very short time til he was back inside. He said something like ‘I hate it outside because I cant do whatever I want to do’
I spoke with a prisoner in Bathurst years ago while we rebuilt it after the riot and he said that he was much more comfortable inside than outside where he had to fend for himself.

The current revolving door is obviously not working. I wonder if they could be made /encouraged to do work on prison farms (top security of course) so they are forced to change their life.
I see the Royal commissioner pulled the pin today for a number of reasons.

Im not sure that killing them under a tree is they way to go :twisted: it will get rid of them but.....
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I ve got no problems with rough treatment - they dont get locked up for no reason - by the time they make it to Jail they have committed multiple offences. I think Shaggs is on the money
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

No child is born bad
Generally this is true. But some have it in their genes, even with a great upbringing. Not referring to race, but just some people born bad.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Just like bad crocs, bad dogs, mean horses, some people can just be mean and nasty - that is their nature. Perhaps they should trial a new form of spit hood..a plastic bag. :clap:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

NT Wombat wrote:The kid strapped in the chair had just beaten a visiting pastor with a fire extinguisher - leaving him permanently blinded in one eye.

...y
Do you have any details? i cant find anything anywhere

Return to “Barramundi Banter”