Outboard motor repair required

Korny

Outboard motor repair required

Post by Korny »

Hello,

I have a Yamaha 40HP 2 stroke that will not go over 2900RPM underload, outside the water i can get the motor to 5900+ in gear and out of gear.

i believe the carby jets might be blocked (I'm not a mechanic).

Motor has less then 100 hours on it and start fine with choke and will eventually idle with no problems when its all warmed up.

anyone reasonable on price who could fix this issue for me ? I need to fixed properly (No carby spraying) need them removed cleaned and reinstalled :)

Thanks

4reel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Outboard motor repair required

Post by 4reel »

Had the same engine 2003 model, every now and again after storing for a couple of months usually hot weather too the carbys would jam up, first time like you I called a mechanic he stripped the carbys and it worked like new, second time I cleaned them myself, also air getting into the system can do this so check you fuel lines in and outside the engine also.

Most probably the carbys though it won't plane in the water I bet but out of the water with puffs on it in runs ok. You can clean the carby,s yourself not hard to pull off and with carby cleaner and a compresser then put back together, otherwise take it to a outboard mechanic, if you can get the carby,s off even take them to the carby shop in winnellie to service and put them back yourself after a clean. It will be about $90 a Carby. Being a two stroke would not hurt to change the spark plugs as well.