Vernon and Leeders Creek Suggestions

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
powerhouse2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Vernon and Leeders Creek Suggestions

Post by powerhouse2016 »

Morning Folks, Im seeking some suggestions on places to go and target species around the Vernon Islands. Ive recently moved to the top end and have zero marks to fish in the GPS of my own. Ive purchased the AFFF magazine and downloaded the waypoints to get started however local knowledge is priceless.

Im planning to spend a few days at the Leeders Creek camp over the weekend coming and figured that with the near neep tides may stand a reasonable chance at some bottom feeders. Has anyone bee using jigs of late up there with consistent success?

Finally i really enjoy reading the successes and the not so successful blogs and hopefully will be welcomed into the community.

RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Vernon and Leeders Creek Suggestions

Post by RedDevil »

Welcome mate, I've never been to the vernons so can't help you there. Leaders is worth a shot on neap tides. There are a few deeper channels on the right as your heading out towards the mouth. Always a chance of a barra or jewie.
And before anybody else tells ya, get a copy of the fishing bible. I'm sure there are waypoints in there for the vernons. Good luck
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

In the Vernons who hasnt fished it before, I would stick to fairly neapish tides. Fish along the edges of the drop offs around SW Vernon and Gunn Point. At the tops of the tide, get up into 3-4m of water and you will still find good fish. Just keep moving until you find some. Beware of strong winds though. It will stand up big time against the big currents you get out there. If it is calm at a change of tide, get in the deep channel (up to 50m deep) and drift it. Oh, and get fish in fast. Sharks can be a real problem out there at times
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

And be careful navigating around there, you really need the Navionics Gold card as many of the ledges are sheer and the water can suddenly change 30m in depth in a matter of a few meters. If you are just watching the depth it will be too late before you realise you are out of water. Take your time and learn where the edges of the reef are and what part of the tide they dry.

For the fishing like Lats said, there are heaps of ledges and coral cays / sand bars that hold fish as they dry and flood. Always pays to work around the edges where the water pours off the reefs and pushes around ledges. I haven't done so well in the deeper water but that 3-4 meter range that Lats mentioned is often productive trolling, casting and jigging a variety of lures.
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

Hey mate any water in between main land and sw vernon fishes well I like to fish 40 to 50m mark youll need really neap tides, any movement over 2m and youll never get bottom little alone your anchor back it runs hard fish ledges on turn off tide I find bests and as mentioned above sharks can be a nightmare out there and theres plenty of hazards to catch you out around that area. Leaders creek produces a lot of fish goldies are easily found on any rockbar and jewies are usually found in any deep holes be patient and youll be rewarded, good luck!
powerhouse2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by powerhouse2016 »

Thanks very much folks. Some very good tips as well as caution to some of the navigational hazards. I've installed a HDS 7 with the Navionics charts so i should be able to see the walls that Dannett refers to.

I suppose the best bait for the jewies will be a whole squid or fillet of mullet.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

powerhouse2016 wrote:Thanks very much folks. Some very good tips as well as caution to some of the navigational hazards. I've installed a HDS 7 with the Navionics charts so i should be able to see the walls that Dannett refers to.

I suppose the best bait for the jewies will be a whole squid or fillet of mullet.
Just a heads up for others, the standard charts are way off. Don't rely on them, I found locations where the reef extends a kilometer further than on the chart.
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

Powerhouse squid and pilchards work well combine the 2 with pilly inside squid tube awsome jew lollie they love them
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Powerhouse as dannet said the contour lines from the navionics card are a big help. To make it display contour lines in much greater detail, turn on fish and chips, if you have a touch there's a option for it on the right hand side. Non touch just go into the menu and scroll through till you find it. I reckon it makes a big difference and has helped me find some good ground. Also no one has mentioned the big gts in the channel between the islands closest to gunn point. Caught some too 25kg and lost bigger I found casting in the shallows and bringing a large popper back as fast as I could gave the best results, low tide works best. Good luck
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
powerhouse2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by powerhouse2016 »

Thanx Scottie, Chubb and Dannett on the additional information. I have a HDS 7, Gen 3 so the features that are mentined in Scottie's post are easy to switch on. Also will be mindfu, of the inaccuracies between the charted reef and actual locations