Lee Point weekend

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lee Point weekend

Post by Agent86 »

Ventured out to Lee Point over the weekend and had a ball with the kids
didn't head out till lunchtime Sat and was pleasantly surprised that the wind dropped off in the arvo, same Sunday, was cool with a light breeze
and we managed to find a heap of Gar hanging round in the berley to have some fun with.

Managed a good sized Queenie on Saturday that ate a live gar floated out for a mack under a balloon, missed a mack too I reckon :|
sunday didn't hook anything but had a couple of baits taken, just didn't hook up.

we managed to have a bit of fun with a few small reefies as well, unfortunately a regular Goldie spot didn't produce.

There were heaps of tuna around the place as well, but very flighty, might have to get out this weekend and have a go again for them.

was a great couple of days fishing with the kids, teaching them how to catch the gar, smiles say it all, well you can see some of them :)
IMG_6946.JPG
IMG_6948.JPG
MVI_6951 1.jpg
MVI_6951 2.jpg
IMG_6954.JPG
IMG_6959.JPG
IMG_6960.JPG
IMG_6963.JPG
IMG_6966.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lee Point weekend

Post by Lats »

Good stuff Dennis. I bet there are a few billfish gurus salivating over them gars. I might have to chase a few myself. Used to love catching gars down South
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

No guru, but salivating. Are you just floating back a bit of bread or something on a little hook under a float in a bread trail?
cards
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cards »

I can never get these little suckers to the boat, never mind in it.

Nice report 86.
Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, while you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water - I drank it!

Yours sincerely, The Opportunist!
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Hey what sort of fish that little black code looking fish. We cought bucket loads of these
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

rumluck wrote:No guru, but salivating. Are you just floating back a bit of bread or something on a little hook under a float in a bread trail?
Hey rumluck, I just burley with a small burley pot, some tuna oil and crushed pilchards, catch the gar on a small long shank hook, light mono and small bit of prawn or pilchard, cheers
Lats wrote:Good stuff Dennis. I bet there are a few billfish gurus salivating over them gars. I might have to chase a few myself. Used to love catching gars down South
Don't worry Lats, a few vac sealed nicely for future Perons trips :-)
mickkk wrote:Hey what sort of fish that little black code looking fish. We cought bucket loads of these
Hey Mick, I think they are called break sea COD, used to call them black asks down south, catch a heap round the Perons too

Cheers
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

won't be a breaksea cod, southern WA fish they are. As a bill fisherman I'm drooling over those gars. better get my plan worked out so I have fresh ones for November.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Simmo83 wrote:won't be a breaksea cod, southern WA fish they are. As a bill fisherman I'm drooling over those gars. better get my plan worked out so I have fresh ones for November.
hi Simmo83, yeah ive caught a heap of the breaksea cod (blackass) in wa as well
but that's the closest thing I've seen to it, after checking the Field guide to marine fishes of Tropical Australia I cant find anything that resembles it, caught a heap of them though
unless its a juvenile of another species, it was white tips on its tail as well as a rounded tail which is different to others in the guide.

Similar to a small whitespotted grouper, only ever caught them up to about 20cm long though

maybe someone else knows exactly?

Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

I reckon it looks like a dark juvenile Chinamen Rock Cod, or the old Charlie Court from W.A with the white on the tip of the tail, apparently found right around the coast? other thing it looks close to is a Peacock Cod, but they are found in more offshore atolls.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

indicator cod
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

ghound wrote:indicator cod
Thats what the east coast trout fisherman call them. I dont know if that is the proper name.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I just thought they were juvenile estuary cod , we caught heaps last trip in the harbour.
very hungry going big baits on 8/0 hooks.
027.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

ghound wrote:
indicator cod

Thats what the east coast trout fisherman call them. I dont know if that is the proper name.
HA I didn't know that. Any cod like thing that comes over the side is an indicator cod in my books. Always figure you are on the right ground
Hutcho1977
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hutcho1977 »

Old fella I used to go fishing with always called them night cod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

We caught thousands of those small cod when I did my charters in the Kimberley on bait and also on lures three times the size of the greedy bastards.

They were in shallow creeks right through to 100m+ of water

Pretty much if the punters took pix for evidence it went into the evening show of 'size counts' to shame the others :)

I never did ID them officially but I reckon they are a genus that they do not grow much bigger than 100mm.

I thought it could be the juvi of the many cod/trout species but have never seen them bigger than 100mm and most juvi Estuary/Malabar/trout/cod etc caught are 200mm+

A good question for DR Julian Pepperell in his Trade a boat column perhaps?
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...