How bad is Lee point affected by the winds

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

How bad is Lee point affected by the winds

Post by mickkk »

G'day all.
My daughter (6 year old) got to her 10 stickers on her chart, I asked her what reward she wants... Her answer was I want to go fishing.
Planned to head out to Lee point for the low from buff creek and be back by mid day. Fishing in close to shore. Dropping baits and trawl around for a bit. Sill be another 8 year old and his dad with us too.
Willy whether has it at around 16 knots, Bom saying 15 to 25 knots.
How bad is Lee point affected by the wind, been out around the vernons and it's quite un plesant. But I'm guessing Lee point won't be as bad.
I'm in a 559 stabi craft, so can cop a bit, and the tides are not too big. But I don't know if this is just wishful thinking.

Looking for a bit of feed back from those who can read the weather better than I. Or where would you head with a few kids for 1/2 a day that's a little more protected.

jsttry
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: How bad is Lee point affected by the winds

Post by jsttry »

So you can't work out left from right or the weather either hey Mickey?
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

stay home and clean the boat
i use this site and its pretty good
https://www.windyty.com/?-12.127,131.449,11
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I walk the dog down there most arvo's this week , not a good plan mate .
White caps and up to 20 knt gusts all week.
can't see any change over the w/end .

Plan B me thinks.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Hi Mickey
it will be choppy as not far offshore
I plan on heading out there tomorrow for a look, but wont be trolling or going wide
plan on staying in close and catching some bait, and in the bog boat too so can hide from the wind, lol
looks like Sunday arvo high tide might be ok :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I went out from Buff creek a few weeks back in similar conditions, thought "how bad can it be with the wind being southerly?" 50m out past the second pole in the mouth of Buff and the first wave came over the side. Soaked. Copped a flogging the whole way to the Vernons and then spent the rest of the trip hiding in the creeks.
Last edited by dannett on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

would the narrows be sheltered enough??
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

2 brothers fishing wrote:would the narrows be sheltered enough??
If lunching from swa, around the junction of salt water arm and the Adelaide river mouth can get rough as. Was in 1m chop going in all directions there once. Not sure which way the wind was blowing, but I'm guessing is was south eastleys blowing straight up the mouth against a big tide.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

2 brothers fishing wrote:would the narrows be sheltered enough??
No idea, but I think you could find lots of options to find sheltered waters if you are not hell bent on being out in the mouth. As others have said the mouth does get choppy.
sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

funny how things turn out, was at lee point on saturday (land based) the wind died well before the sun started coming down and it turns out you would have been fine. sometimes its hard to predict up here and you just have to be on standby. i hope your daughter caught a fish mate
jsttry
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jsttry »

Was lucky enough for Mickey to take my son and I out. Slow exit out of the creek and we were away around 8am. Wasn't that bad and by the time we were out of the reefs it was quite tame. Didn't get back in until 2pm. Nothing big, all little things for the kids.

The idea was to show the little fella that you won't get something every time you go out. The pest got 9 littlies instead so he was stoked. Down side is he wants to go out again!

ImageUntitled by jsttry, on Flickr

The sad thing is the skipper's largest catch was probably the same size as his sinker
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

We went out Saturday lunchtime for a few hours, it was great, caught a heap of garfish in the burley trail and managed a queenie over 90cm on a gar drifted out under a balloon, missed a mack as well. Returned Sunday for another go and the weather after 11 was great, a few garfish again, and missed something big as well as catching a heap of smaller fish on the bottom, it was a great outing with the kids :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!