Holidaying in Darwin

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
lozzel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Holidaying in Darwin

Post by lozzel »

Hi All, This is my first post on the site and I’m seeking some advice.
We are holidaying in Darwin this July for the month, will be bringing a 4.2 tinnie with us, and was wondering where some good spots to try were. We will be staying out in Palmerston, with our daughter, so was thinking maybe Elizabeth, for a start, or if there is any other good places to try. Not after your secret spots just somewhere to start, so not flying/ fishing blind so to speak.
Is crabbing any good that time of the year?
What are the best tides to fish, not used to fishing big tides, Coming from western Qld's fresh water creeks.
Also is the 500 NT Fishing gps marks card worth buying for 1 trip up there ?
Sorry for all the questions,
Thanks in advance
Laurie.

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Holidaying in Darwin

Post by mickkk »

If you get a few calm days wind wise, I would recommend heading to the blue holes. Can be hit and miss with the fishing, but a very pretty place. Search blue holes and will find plenty of info etc. you leave buff creek and head accross, but with a 4.2 you would want a 10 knot or less day.
Adam-Steevens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Adam-Steevens »

Yes it's worth getting the card for the $30 odd that it cost. I go great in Elizabeth for fishing and most creeks will give you a feed of crabs if you put them in on a low. Look for the run offs when placing your pots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

A week at Crab Claw Island on Bynoe Harbour, a week at the Daly River, and a week at Gunn Point/Leaders/Saltwater Arm.

Maybe a couple of days at Corroboree/Hardies/Rock Hole.

And an overnighter staying at Goat Island on the Adelaide River.

And yes, the card is worth its weight in gold. After spending the big money to get to the NT, a few extra bucks for all the marks is nothing. And might even save your prop.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Flick the drains in any of the harbour creeks mate if you are sticking around darwin.
I like an hour each side of the low on the springs and about 2m tide or lower.
Good luck.
Edo
lozzel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lozzel »

Thanks for the replys, I got the SD card and loaded it in yesterday, looks good should be able to find a wreck or 2 now. From here to Eliz Ramp is 2485nm as the crow flies. I hope there is plenty of water and fuel stops in between.
Boats all packed and keen to hit the road, if only work would let me.
Leaving here on Friday, any Idea of what the weather will be like next week, Tides look to be rather large, are these good to fish or wait till they start dropping off the following week.
Thanks. Laurie.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Take care and have a great trip up here Laurie
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Make sure you get out to Corroboree at least once - it's worth it just for a look around, plus theres always a chance of a barra and saratoga and tarpon are easy. Try and get out on either the Daly or the Adelaide as well - the Daly is far easier fishing, the Adelaide is far more convenient plus you can call into Goat Island for a beer and a hamburger. If the wind is down Lee Point reefs would be worth a look for mackerel and reef fish.