Darwin Port Extension

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Darwin Port Extension

Post by newfisherman »

Article from ABC news website from today

Extension of Darwin port

Will involve dredging and and extension of the port towards the city by 1000meters according to the report….

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/l ... atenews_nt

Google map with a line extended out by 1000meters. It is a bit of a rudimentary drawing but it gives an idea of the possible size of the extention .

port extention .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Darwin Port Extension

Post by Matt Flynn »

The next Botany Bay is on the way.

Good for jobs but not so good for the harbour vista. Which by now is a moot point.

Might make a big difference to prices if they can get big container ships in on a regular basis, last time I checked it cost a fortune to freight to Darwin from overseas.

Looks like Bleesers and Reichardt Creeks will change, they might silt up because of reduced flow across the flat.

Landbridge and Inpex could fund new artificial reefs to make up for the lost access to harbour hotspots that will probably come from increased shipping :mrgreen:
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

They will just put a floating facility out gun point way and load and unload all the gear out there for the next project there
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

shaggs wrote:They will just put a floating facility out gun point way and load and unload all the gear out there for the next project there

Yep

On Matt,s freight to Darwin, it's cheaper to ship beer from down south to Singapore and back than truck up. Been doing it for a bit :wink:
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

On Matt,s freight to Darwin, it's cheaper to ship beer from down south to Singapore and back than truck up. Been doing it for a bit

Even after customs and port handling charges? Wow.

My quotes were China-Sydney versus China-Darwin.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Matt Flynn wrote:
On Matt,s freight to Darwin, it's cheaper to ship beer from down south to Singapore and back than truck up. Been doing it for a bit

Even after customs and port handling charges? Wow.

My quotes were China-Sydney versus China-Darwin.

Not as many fees as transhipped ( still under seals ) several 40ft each week on regular runners,

Containers of Personal Effects from Adelaide are about 3.5k sent via Singapore versus 5K trucked up.

Freight from China is a bit cheaper lately and will only get better with vessels from China more regular.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Interesting.

My quotes were some years ago.

Baltic Dry Index is at lows so I imagine shipping is cheaper now.
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

I remember catching tuna off the wharf and the Broad Bar macks were great fun. Since the port was built the clean water hardly, if ever, reaches the wharf. Why cant they leave sections open and bridge these to maintain water flows to stop changing the harbour currents. I still go back most years to check if the currents are reaching the wharf but have been very disappointed.
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, they probably should have bridged the base of the East Arm wharf to allow water through. Horse has now bolted.