Ouch ...$346 for insufficient safety gear

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Ouch ...$346 for insufficient safety gear

Post by grumpy »

slug wrote:
mickb wrote: Don't ever live in Nsw then mate ,it's not too bad here ....
Yet
Exactly our problem mate - way too many recently arrived wanting to bring their 'southern nancy' ideas here .....
WELL SAID SLUG :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

slug wrote:
mickb wrote: Don't ever live in Nsw then mate ,it's not too bad here ....
Yet
Exactly our problem mate - way too many recently arrived wanting to bring their 'southern nancy' ideas here .....
Here, here! :clap: Even some that were born here. Yes, I'm looking at you Fong Lim. Take your traffic lights and f&@k off!
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

scottmac wrote: Even some that were born here.......
Yeah - I put a lot of it down to the idiotic OH&S culture that a lot of young fella's have been indoctrinated into in the workplace.

Because they have it bashed down their throats daily they come to believe it's actually REAL :rofl:

Too many BS rules & regulations preached to robotic, non-thinking zombies rather than common sense & be responsible for your own actions
and make your own judgements on $hit !!

They then take the workplace on to the water - unless they got a manual or a procedure to follow, they're farked :banghead:
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

O.K, what an opportunity for a case study. The 'commercial' boat that got smashed off Charles Point recently and were saved by a friend who was already heading out to help. Q. How many had life jackets on when rescued? Q. Were any flares fired? Q. Was there any call for help on the radio prior to collision?

I don't have the answers but it just may go to show that if there was no one on their way to help, those blokes would be dead now.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

c9h14n wrote:O.K, what an opportunity for a case study. The 'commercial' boat that got smashed off Charles Point recently and were saved by a friend who was already heading out to help. Q. How many had life jackets on when rescued? Q. Were any flares fired? Q. Was there any call for help on the radio prior to collision?

I don't have the answers but it just may go to show that if there was no one on their way to help, those blokes would be dead now.
At the end of the day rules are rules and are to meant protect to people from themselves, particularly the stupid who walk among us. So fair enough about the missing life jacket. Unfortunate but fair. However if there were an adequate number of flares on board and if they were in good condition then a month out of date should have attracted nothing more than a caution. If it were an emergency the flares would have worked.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Life jackets and flares are no good when a barge runs you over and you dont have time to grab one so i doubt this is a good example but im guessing that you are trying to say that when in the water and in distress a life jackett and flare might help save your life. I still think one month out of date is a bit rough recieving a $300 fine.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Spot on Pete .
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

dannett wrote:
c9h14n wrote:O.K, what an opportunity for a case study. The 'commercial' boat that got smashed off Charles Point recently and were saved by a friend who was already heading out to help. Q. How many had life jackets on when rescued? Q. Were any flares fired? Q. Was there any call for help on the radio prior to collision?

At the end of the day rules are rules and are to meant protect to people from themselves, particularly the stupid who walk among us. So fair enough about the missing life jacket. Unfortunate but fair. However if there were an adequate number of flares on board and if they were in good condition then a month out of date should have attracted nothing more than a caution. If it were an emergency the flares would have worked.
Sorry Tran I just re-read my post and I didn't mean to imply that you are stupid. Forgetting to grab an extra life jacket is a mistake any of us could easily make.
TJH1973
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TJH1973 »

I must have got lucky then... I had my safety gear checked out at Fenton's. My flares were out of date. Was given a warning and had to present the receipt for new flares to them within 7 days.
cdunn78

Post by cdunn78 »

I had a cracker in NSW I didn't have a life jacket on when cruising in my tinny in Blowering Dam which is considered an "Alpine Lake". I found out this is mandatory when boating alone in alpine waters as hyperthermia could kick in if I went over. The copper chased me for about a K didn't hear his siren over the hum (scream) of the 2 stroke, when he finally got me I negotiated not being fined as the depth sounder had the water at 22 deg but the bugger done me for $100 for not having a fire extinguisher as I had a battery for the sounder.

I suppose the moral of the story for me is now I have my knowledge up to date for where I fish and all equipment required but p..sed off that it cost me a ton to get my sh!t sorted!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

“found out it was mandatory’ haha even I know that you have to wear a pfd if you are alone and/or in alpine lakes and/or at night
In Tassie you must wear one at all times while underway.
They can save your life (plus it makes it easier for the rescue people to find your body because you will be floating) :twisted:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

In Tassie you must wear one at all times while underway.
Sadly trolling constitutes "underway" and they are a bl..dy nuisance, make me feel like the Michelin Man, and they don't make the bl..dy waders big enough either :D :D
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

even drifting is 'underway'
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

We should all have our safety gear on board and up to date
We can whinge all we want about it until the time comes when we need it
That's when we will be glad we have it
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

cdunn78, How did you go for a boat licence? Do they recognise that NT people don't require a licence and can not obtain another states licence because they don't live there. (Or do you have a nsw license). I was hoping and fortunately I didn't have to test this on lake Eildon in Vic over christmas.