Ouch ...$346 for insufficient safety gear

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Ouch ...$346 for insufficient safety gear

Post by balou »

Not having a whinge just sharing my experience today at buff creek and giving you guys a heads up.

Took a couple blokes crabing today at SB today . A great day with a 12 crabs caught but at the ramp the police check our saftey gear.

2 life jackets for 3 blokes and flares 1 month out of date $346 fine. ( fu me)

Usually fish with the Mrs and kids and the kids have their own jacket which we wash and dry out on every trip. I do have an epirb.

Between 2 boats I have 7 adult jackets . Just simply forgot to transfer more jackets for this trip,

3 out of the 4 copper said give them a warning but one wanker copper obvious a none teritorian was adamant I need a fine.

My mistake but $346 a bit harsh. Hope this post prompts you to check your saftey gear. Mrs on her way to btc to buy some flares.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Ouch ...$346 for insufficient safety gear

Post by nomad »

Ouch!
bad luck for you but a good reminder for everyone to check their gear.
I used o transfer gear from boat to boat but not i just have all the gear i need on both boats
Go to anacondas new opening and they will have stuff cheap
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good of you to post it here for others, perhaps the overly keen copper will get some bad barramundi karma ... a boil on his bum and some nasty south-easter chop for his next tinny trip.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I'm just surprised 75% of them weren't pr..ks
Bad luck Tran but lesson learnt I guess
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

cr.p, I went out yesty with a mate and don't think I put an extra jacket in my boat! I'll be chucking an extra in tomorrow.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Unluck Tran - and a head's up for all the tossa's bleating MORE rules, MORE policing, MORE blah blah blah .....

If u would have had no jackets & no flares, no problem - but nit picky BS bureaucracy :evil:

Lucky the tides were as they were - we took the gentleman's hours launch & obviously missed them (would have got me for flares out of date
2 months probably - but I'm betting work just as well now as they did 2 months ago !!).

I was more pi$$ed by the "roadworks" taking out of action all the non-compounded trailer parking - had to park up at the caravan park & catch a
taxi back to ramp :jester:

Good to see you've got your crab mojo back - we got a dozen also without much effort - and a nice 93cm & a few low 60's to make it a reasonable day.
Crabs in reasonable condition also - a few a bit light on.

Was that you up behind The Rock around midday that had to sneak past us to collect a pot that we had blocked off sitting in the mouth of the little creek??
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

I got pinged for out of date flares a couple of years ago, they gave me the option to replace them and present the receipt and the old flares for disposal to them within a week, far better idea, cheaper than a fine and it gets new flares in the boat
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

After recent events im not surprised they are handing out fines.....

Seeing that most water police read this forum calling them wankers will only make ya fff sticker on ya boat a bullseye...?!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

[quote="slug"]

If u would have had no jackets & no flares, no problem - but nit picky BS bureaucracy :evil:

Thats like saying your car has only 3 seat belts but you carry 4 people. :lol:
O&Bfisherers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by O&Bfisherers »

i think you also nave to have correct floatation levels for lifejackets so the little foam ones might get you in trouble as well with the local coppers as well
i keep every thing in a carry bag
Owen and Belinda
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

slug wrote:Unluck Tran - and a head's up for all the tossa's bleating MORE rules, MORE policing, MORE blah blah blah .....

Lucky the tides were as they were - we took the gentleman's hours launch & obviously missed them (would have got me for flares out of date
2 months probably - but I'm betting work just as well now as they did 2 months ago !!).

I was more pi$$ed by the "roadworks" taking out of action all the non-compounded trailer parking - had to park up at the caravan park & catch a
taxi back to ramp :jester:

Good to see you've got your crab mojo back - we got a dozen also without much effort - and a nice 93cm & a few low 60's to make it a reasonable day.
Crabs in reasonable condition also - a few a bit light on.

Was that you up behind The Rock around midday that had to sneak past us to collect a pot that we had blocked off sitting in the mouth of the little creek??
Yeah that was us mate in the Trailcraft.

My responsibility as skipper to have the correct safety gear, really no excuses.

Still think he a wanker for giving me a big fine instead of warning :D :D :D . Sure he been called worst things.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

A warning would have been sufficient. Month out of date flares :fubird: The bl..dy things still work for 20 years.

What would the fine be if you had nothing? This raises debate on a sliding scale for being non compliant.

As I've said many times before the world up here is faaaaarked :moon: (overregulated)

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

They are probably following orders. The govt needs all our money as the limo fleet needs upgrading
tight lines
mickb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mickb »

grumpy wrote:A warning would have been sufficient. Month out of date flares :fubird: The bl..dy things still work for 20 years.

What would the fine be if you had nothing? This raises debate on a sliding scale for being non compliant.

As I've said many times before the world up here is faaaaarked :moon: (overregulated)

Cheers grumpy
Don't ever live in Nsw then mate ,it's not too bad here ....
Yet
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

mickb wrote: Don't ever live in Nsw then mate ,it's not too bad here ....
Yet
Exactly our problem mate - way too many recently arrived wanting to bring their 'southern nancy' ideas here .....