McArthur River mine pollution

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Kadango
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: McArthur River mine pollution

Post by Kadango »

I would not always take what is reported in the media as gospel - just saying.

The following is directly from MRM:

Environment Impact Statement (EIS)

• The proper long-term management of waste rock at MRM is currently the subject of a full EIS process.
• The EIS will include a range of subject matter expert studies and reports for review and approval by both Federal and Northern Territory Government regulators.
• Consultation on the EIS has already commenced with Traditional Owners for the mine site and will extend to the broader community, including other language groups, residents in Borroloola and the Gulf region, local organisations, Government agencies and non-government organisations.
• We recently opened our Community Reference Group meeting to the residents of Borroloola to provide an update on our operations and answer questions on mine approvals, environmental performance, community initiatives and the current EIS process.

Independent Environmental Monitor (IM)

• In addition to our own reporting, the Independent Monitor conducts an annual audit and review of our performance and reports directly to the Minister for Mines.
• Last year the IM commented on the positive progress at MRM including
- Successful revegetation of the McArthur River channel and the addition of large woody debris to improve aquatic habitat.
- A substantial reduction of water in our Tailings Storage Facility.
- Improved waste rock management and planning, as well as new methods to stop combustion and reduce water inflow.
- Expanded environmental monitoring programs including those for groundwater, dust, soil, marine and aquatic environments.

MRM Working with the Community

• MRM has been a major employer and a major buyer of goods and services in the Northern Territory for over 20 years.
• We provide employment for around 600 people, mostly from the Territory and the surrounding communities in the Gulf Region.
• Since 2007, we have invested more than $10 million across 60 projects into the Gulf Region through the MRM Community Benefits Trust and other community service initiatives.

Sometimes it takes a little teasing out to get a more balanced picture.....
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.