Kenbi Land Claim Map

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Kenbi Land Claim Map

Post by tristan.sloan »

Last month the Kenbi land claim covering Cox Peninsula and Bynoe Harbour, one of Australia’s longest-running land claims was resolved.
AFANT is pleased to report that these negotiations resulted in no detriment or loss of access for recreational fishing. Provisions were made in settlement for access to inter-tidal areas, camping on several of the Bynoe Harbour Islands, road access for land-based fishing locations and planning for future boat ramps.

A full scale map showing sacred sites and any access restrictions can be found by clicking the link below

http://afant.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ ... bi-Map.pdf

Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Kenbi Land Claim Map

Post by Jeno »

Tristan, I don't want to go off half cocked here but unless I am reading the map incorrectly it looks like there is no access, camping and or fishing to all of the area's shaded red....that's correct yes? So the whole lot of land that faces West is off limits....including Keswick Pt, Pioneer Pt, Rankin Pt.....pretty much Tapa Bay all the way down past Pioneer Beach is off limits for camping...for non Indigenous Australians anyway.

If that is the case (and I hope I am wrong) then how is that a win??????
No matter where you go, there you are!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Map does create a few questions. Need to define what "N/A" means, as opposed to "NO".
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Again, a map produced that is not consistent with the legislation. Where are the inter tidal boundaries surrounding the offshore regions? There is no claim over a reef! Etc etc. smoke and mirrors again.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Tough crowd. Have another look at the map. Anywhere that has the "orange" colour means you are allowed access to fish, go on the beach, and have a fire. That is pretty much the entire map besides the dark blue shaded area around Ida Bay etc (you can still fish the blue area too).

The Keswick Point part is a little confusing though, it does look like you cant camp there?
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

maxpower wrote:Tough crowd. Have another look at the map. Anywhere that has the "orange" colour means you are allowed access to fish, go on the beach, and have a fire. That is pretty much the entire map besides the dark blue shaded area around Ida Bay etc (you can still fish the blue area too).

The Keswick Point part is a little confusing though, it does look like you cant camp there?

Mate it doesn't read that way to me.....looking at the legend at the top of the map all area's shaded in red with line is no access, no fishing, no camping......which is the whole area from Tapa Bay all the way down to past Pioneer Beach......
No matter where you go, there you are!
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

This makes me worry guys...thankfully maxpower has read the map correctly. The orange at the edges designates fishing is allowed in the intertidal zone and beaches plus the ability to light fires. Camping is restricted to bare sand island and Indian island.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

That's all well and good Tristan, but where does the intertidal zone start and finish?
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

c9h14n wrote:That's all well and good Tristan, but where does the intertidal zone start and finish?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertidal_zone
The intertidal zone, also known as the foreshore and seashore and sometimes referred to as the littoral zone, is the area that is above water at low tide and under water at high tide (in other words, the area between tide marks).

Tristan, I can see that Keswick Point is marked as Category 4 where Fishing in Intertidal Zone and Beach Access to Secondary Sand Dune is permitted however Camping on Beach is not permitted. Can you advise if camping at Keswick Point, i.e. on the cliffs/in the bush at the point, is allowed under the Beach Access to Secondary Sand Dune rule?
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

starts at the low tide mark and ends at the high tide mark Jer, for legislative requirements it is normally the mean tidal mark (average). Sorry Jer my understanding is no camping is permitted at Keswick Point.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

How do you find the low tide mark at high tide?
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Thanks for posting Tristan I'm not having a go at you but this is another reason the Top End fishing scene is getting more and more f...cked in my eyes. :evil: :evil:

I spent over half my life trudging thru these areas and never left a mark on the landscape or over fished the fishery.

OVER REGULATED POLICE STATE is what we are becoming, seems every day there are more and more restrictions on fishing to p..s us off and are aimed at stopping people having a good time. :x

Move over Matt :mrgreen: the hills and back blocks of Tassie are looking better all the time.

"End of rant" :fubird:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Plenty of regulations in Tassie Grumpy, you even have to wear your lifejacket in the boat :(
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I reckon there must be a mistake with the Keswick Point camping not being shown on the map?

It would seem strange to ban that after always being able to camp at the popular ramp/launch site there. Also there are a lot of shacks in the same area (Pioneer Beach etc) which is "Category 1", so surely they are still accessible.

Hopefully we can get some clarification on this and things here are "business as usual'? Cheers Tristan.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

It's an awesome campsite, it would be a shame to lose it. Glad the rest looks good though!