Climate emergency

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Climate emergency

Post by Matt Flynn »

Surprised there has been no discussion about this ... perhaps there is nothing to be said.

Can't see anyone getting rid of their car or boat in a hurry.

And I am pretty sure the rising Indian and Chinese middle classes will all want their cars and boats too.

Nor will the world's leading politicians set an example by selling their luxury motor yachts ...

So, stock up on singlets and jock rash cream, and keep the beer cold.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Matt Flynn wrote:Surprised there has been no discussion about this ... perhaps there is nothing to be said.
Can't see anyone getting rid of their car or boat in a hurry.
And I am pretty sure the rising Indian and Chinese middle classes will all want their cars and boats too.
Nor will the world's leading politicians set an example by selling their luxury motor yachts ...
So, stock up on singlets and jock rash cream, and keep the beer cold.
This is the big problem. I don't want to have less, quite the contrary in fact. And if you think the gun laws are a challenge, imagine the government trying to tell you that your family is only allowed one car.

The sad thing is we, as a world community are behind on a whole range of areas that could assist with climate change. There really needs to be more government funded projects in reforestation, solar and nuclear energy.

Dan
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Seems this topic sunk like a stone across the internet.

There were 4000+ comments on the Guardian website, and most were still arguing about whether global warming is happening or not.

I had some doubts, but this latest data suggests it's time to start listening. But can anything be done?

Life survived the last period without polar ice caps, and it would be nice to have barra down here, there's no shortage of spotty baitfish :D
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Matt Flynn wrote:Seems this topic sunk like a stone across the internet.
There were 4000+ comments on the Guardian website, and most were still arguing about whether global warming is happening or not.
I had some doubts, but this latest data suggests it's time to start listening. But can anything be done?
Life survived the last period without polar ice caps, and it would be nice to have barra down here, there's no shortage of spotty baitfish :D
Deathly quiet.
I think global warming is real. Cause is another matter. I believe that climate change is inevitable. It is part of a natural cycle. 6000 years ago the Sahara Desert was a tropical jungle. I also believe we have accelerated the process. I don't think we can stop it. I don't think every species in the world will perish. Some will become extinct. Some will evolve. Life will migrate south towards the cooler climates. We can mitigate some aspects and have the power to help decellerate the process. Barra will start to show up further south.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

dannett wrote:
Matt Flynn wrote:Seems this topic sunk like a stone across the internet.
Deathly quiet.
I think global warming is real. Cause is another matter. I believe that climate change is inevitable. It is part of a natural cycle. 6000 years ago the Sahara Desert was a tropical jungle. I also believe we have accelerated the process. I don't think we can stop it. I don't think every species in the world will perish. Some will become extinct. Some will evolve. Life will migrate south towards the cooler climates. We can mitigate some aspects and have the power to help decellerate the process. Barra will start to show up further south.
The problem is that none of the previous climate patterns had the age of the industrial revolution to factor in. The science is well developed on the effects of greenhouse gasses. Climate change has always happened but this is the loophole for denialists because the real issue at hand is anthropogenic climate change. The curve in the data set correlating with the industrial revolution is eye opening.

The other issue is the ability for junk science to get traction. There are so many ways in the digital age to get around the scrutiny of the scientiffic method and promote science without credibility.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Nothing man can do will stop it from getting hotter unless he nukes the place and sets up a dust cloud in the atmosphere ( place will be stuffed then anyway )
Place has been getting hotter since it came out of the ice age apart from a few short cooler stints which are negligable
Have to create a workplace for all the genius's (scientists)so they give them meaningless impossible jobs such as researching global warning LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present