Changes at the Daly

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Changes at the Daly

Post by Jer »

Big Col wrote:Might be a little hard for the prosecution to prove that they where in the exclusion zone?
On the new fisheries brochure it does not state that moon Billabong outlet is the start of the exclusion zone, it does not give GPS Location, the sign that is on the bank is overgrown,
and on the map they have provided (attachment below) it looks as though the exclusion zone starts somewhere around clear creek? definitely after cleanskin creek!

My Question is Why are people calling for the persecution of a few individuals who may or may not have been fishing in a restricted area? Why condemn people who want to go catch some fish? if they have over the bag limit then sure through the book at them why are we worried about a handful of boats catching a few barra inside the mouth of the river, when as soon as the season opens the pros are going to smash the mouth?

Why are we not calling for the removal of this out-dated measure put in place to stop people from killing breeders? (I'm led to believe it was also introduced to appease the pro netters) There is now new controls in place to stop that ie. 1 fish over 90, by opening this area up to amateur fish all year round they are spreading the pressure (this has just happened at Shady Camp, shortly after the nets where removed!!! coincidence?) and people are starting to take advantage of this! has anyone been out to Shady and killed the pig in what would have previously been classed as a closed season? I'm not sure, but the trial held out there and my own experience would make me assume not. And even if they had the majority of big fish are being released due to ethics of the modern fisherman and in part to the new bag limits.

Just something to think about!
PS. I was not down there and will abide by the law until it changes. But would love the ability to fish some of the creeks further down on Australia day weekend instead of fighting with hundreds of other boats! I also like going out into Anson Bay During the build up/wet season and would like to be able to launch from Daly Rather than Dundee as the weather can be a hassle running 100km round the coast in storms.
Big Col :drinking1:
Looking at the map, the river from Moon Billabong outlet to the Mouth is clearly highlighted darker than the rest of the river. There are even dotted lines at Moon Billabong outlet and at the Mouth. There won't be any difficulty proving that they are in the exclusion zone, the difficulty will come from trying to prove they were fishing in the exclusion zone.

If it's a restricted area, no one should be fishing in it, full stop. No one is being condemned for waiting to go for a fish, people who break the law are being condemned, it's that simple.

Last year, on the first set of neaps after the Shady closure finished, people in the know absolutely brained it catching meteries. This year, as soon as the barrage started flowing, meteries were caught. Both occasions were during the period in which the closure previously existed. I would hazard a guess and say the meteries and the larger fish were released as you say because of the ethics of the modern day fisher-person.

However, what kind of ethics would a person who knowingly fishes in a closure zone have? Would that kind of person release a 90+ fish or simply say it couldn't be revived and keep it? I'm not saying that they would, just speculating.

I'm lead to believe that the persons fishing in the closure zone know the Daly and fish the Daly often. If that's the case, it's extremely poor form and they most definitely deserve the book thrown at them.

You can launch from the Daly anytime of the year (given the ramp is accessible). The restriction between Moon Billabong outlet and the Mouth is for fishing. If you are simply travelling through the exclusion zone, you're not breaking the law. A well known fisho launched from Dundee twice this year and traveled through the exclusion zone to fish upstream from the closure zone.

ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Waypoints are in the fisheries act appendices, black and white.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yes and it has to be one in all in or all out. If i cant lègally fish there thèn throw thè book in there face.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

I am of the belief that you can cruise up the Daly throughout the exclusion zone anytime of the year even when it is closed but Don't be caught with your rig setup with a lure or you will be in the you know what!!!!!!!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yep. same in tassie, if you are rigged up during the closed season, youre gone
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

Big Col wrote:Might be a little hard for the prosecution to prove that they where in the exclusion zone?
On the new fisheries brochure it does not state that moon Billabong outlet is the start of the exclusion zone, it does not give GPS Location, the sign that is on the bank is overgrown,
and on the map they have provided (attachment below) it looks as though the exclusion zone starts somewhere around clear creek? definitely after cleanskin creek!

My Question is Why are people calling for the persecution of a few individuals who may or may not have been fishing in a restricted area? Why condemn people who want to go catch some fish? if they have over the bag limit then sure through the book at them why are we worried about a handful of boats catching a few barra inside the mouth of the river, when as soon as the season opens the pros are going to smash the mouth?

Why are we not calling for the removal of this out-dated measure put in place to stop people from killing breeders? (I'm led to believe it was also introduced to appease the pro netters) There is now new controls in place to stop that ie. 1 fish over 90, by opening this area up to amateur fish all year round they are spreading the pressure (this has just happened at Shady Camp, shortly after the nets where removed!!! coincidence?) and people are starting to take advantage of this! has anyone been out to Shady and killed the pig in what would have previously been classed as a closed season? I'm not sure, but the trial held out there and my own experience would make me assume not. And even if they had the majority of big fish are being released due to ethics of the modern fisherman and in part to the new bag limits.

Just something to think about!
PS. I was not down there and will abide by the law until it changes. But would love the ability to fish some of the creeks further down on Australia day weekend instead of fighting with hundreds of other boats! I also like going out into Anson Bay During the build up/wet season and would like to be able to launch from Daly Rather than Dundee as the weather can be a hassle running 100km round the coast in storms.
Big Col :drinking1:
Unless I missed something, nobody had mentioned anything about why the Cops were on the River.
I must admit, I was surprised they were there, it was a long Weekend, with not many fish being caught in the legal areas.
Sick of coming home Fishless
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Heading down to the Daly on Tuesday for a couple of days. First trip for the year so am seeking any info on negotiating Browns.
DRAGONMASTER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DRAGONMASTER »

Marro, was down there last week on neaps, had no problems at Browns, stick to left hand bank going downstream.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

There's enough water at browns to get over at low tide no worries. When the tide backs it up there is heaps of water but there is a log about 20m of back on left hand side as your heading to the mouth that is just under the surface. Would seriously consider somewhere else though. Fish were not playing the game yesterday but we weren't there during prime times either. Bloke we spoke too had been there for three days and caught one fish. We ended up with one 68 and lost 100 worth of gear to snags. Should have slept in....
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Thanks dragonmaster. Scottie5.3 that all sounds very depressing. Might reconsider.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Update on this thread: boats are hitting things on the Daly because it is so low, one big boat even lost its donk.

Suggested route past Browns Creek is now to go slightly inside the creek and around.

Interesting times ...

Ping those bad stumps or lumps with a GPS and whack it up, might save someone some grief.
Kaos364
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kaos364 »

Nasty pic of Grim Reaper missing an engine on FB... :cry: