Changes at the Daly

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Changes at the Daly

Post by Matt Flynn »

Thought it would be good to log a few changes at the Daly, including new hazards.

What I have so far ...

*Landbased platform at Bamboo Creek is gone
*Elizabeth Creek mouth altered
*Some banks collapsed
*Well known snags gone, other new ones in place

Would be good if fishos can ping new hazards with the GPS.

wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Changes at the Daly

Post by wazdog »

I'm sure it will be a slow trip down the river next time Matt.Good to get that type of info!
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

Heading up stream through Browns we hugged the right hand bank the whole way.. Seemed deeper there than last years channel. Only got one ding in the prop when we hit a croc doing about 55 :roll:
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Well looks like that croc has also been altered. lol
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Great thread Matt
whats the latest for access and launching ive been out the loop.

cheers Craig
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Daly road is open craig.g ... fishing has been quiet but there are mullet down the bottom end that might come up with the big tides.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

No bait, muddy water out of most of the creeks and few barra……..went as far as Reidys creek today. Big tree at mouth of Elizabeth creek could fall in soon by the look of it. Had planned an overnight trip but the rewards were not there today. but only about 4 boats so nice to have the place almost to myself.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Friend of mine ( one of our ex-Roper crew) just spent 10 days at Wooliana with Adrian (owner).

Daly barra currently feeding on small fish and ignoring lures bigger than 60mm.

Mid sized TerraEyes outfishing everything at moment.

Info from him was to use TerraEyes as a top water lure and getting hit on the pauses as worked across the top or just under surface. Don't let lure sink and lift up-down from bottom.

5 boats spotted fishing at Clear Creek with water police (complete with camera boat) heading downriver to have a chat.

Don't know what outcome was. Maybe some news released shortly.
Regards
Ronje
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good info Ronje. Can't wait to finish moving houses and selling so I can get out there!
cnd1963
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by cnd1963 »

Be aware, huge tree snag bottom of browns in usual channel between rock shelf and bank, 400mm diameter stumps visible on low, I would have hit it if water little bit higher, it is swaying in current, so might move down in next flood. on the s bend. right side going down.
Tropical IV
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tropical IV »

The camera boat was there to film 2016 territory cops
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Tropical IV wrote:The camera boat was there to film 2016 territory cops
Someone might become famous for being naughty
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Lats wrote:
Tropical IV wrote:The camera boat was there to film 2016 territory cops
Someone might become famous for being naughty
bl..dy hope so, hope they get what they deserve too. Haven't seen or heard anything about it yet.
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

I was there that day. they caught up with us, at Charlie's Creek.
Just doing a Life Jacket and Flare Check.
We wondered if that was what they were there for.
No body was catching any fish. That I know of, at that time.
Sick of coming home Fishless
Big Col
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Col »

Might be a little hard for the prosecution to prove that they where in the exclusion zone?
On the new fisheries brochure it does not state that moon Billabong outlet is the start of the exclusion zone, it does not give GPS Location, the sign that is on the bank is overgrown,
and on the map they have provided (attachment below) it looks as though the exclusion zone starts somewhere around clear creek? definitely after cleanskin creek!

My Question is Why are people calling for the persecution of a few individuals who may or may not have been fishing in a restricted area? Why condemn people who want to go catch some fish? if they have over the bag limit then sure through the book at them why are we worried about a handful of boats catching a few barra inside the mouth of the river, when as soon as the season opens the pros are going to smash the mouth?

Why are we not calling for the removal of this out-dated measure put in place to stop people from killing breeders? (I'm led to believe it was also introduced to appease the pro netters) There is now new controls in place to stop that ie. 1 fish over 90, by opening this area up to amateur fish all year round they are spreading the pressure (this has just happened at Shady Camp, shortly after the nets where removed!!! coincidence?) and people are starting to take advantage of this! has anyone been out to Shady and killed the pig in what would have previously been classed as a closed season? I'm not sure, but the trial held out there and my own experience would make me assume not. And even if they had the majority of big fish are being released due to ethics of the modern fisherman and in part to the new bag limits.

Just something to think about!
PS. I was not down there and will abide by the law until it changes. But would love the ability to fish some of the creeks further down on Australia day weekend instead of fighting with hundreds of other boats! I also like going out into Anson Bay During the build up/wet season and would like to be able to launch from Daly Rather than Dundee as the weather can be a hassle running 100km round the coast in storms.
Big Col :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.