Trailer modifications and repairs

Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trailer modifications and repairs

Post by Scotty69 »

G'day folks,

I have a 5.3 topender on a single axle trailer. I want to put another axle on for obvious reasons and have a few minor repairs required.

Who can you recommend to do the work for me that is reliable, reasonably priced and quality job? I'm time poor so would rather just pay someone for a good job.

I live down Coolalinga/Humpty Doo area, but don't mind travelling into town area if I'll get a good job done.

Any recomendations would be most welcome.

Cheers

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Trailer modifications and repairs

Post by cuddlescooper »

Try nt unique. George does good work at a reasonable price.
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

I just went and saw George and he was really helpful. Nice bloke.

Thanks for that cuddlescooper.
Rosco85

Post by Rosco85 »

What sort of price were you looking at for the second axle setup? I looked into it but it adds up to a decent price!
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

My trailer is a U-bolt setup so can unbolt, remove the single axle and replace with a similar dual setup. Depending on the weight and how much you want to beef it up, estimated at around $800 - $1200 in parts, again depending on weight and how full-on you want to go. Then add labour unless you have the time to do it yourself.

Have heard some horror stories of people losing wheels, particularly in VERY remote areas and to have the piece of mind of the dual axle, I think its a small price to pay when you look at the alternative.
JimmyTaylor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyTaylor »

Hey Scotty69
Do you have an aluminium trailer with the cradle under, as I'm also looking into upgrading from single to dual axle for that 'peace of mind and extra strength' .
Where did you get your new axle and setup from?
Any Picts of the upgrade?
Cheers
Jimmy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Hey JT,

Steel trailer.

I haven't done the upgrade just yet, getting info and quotes together and weighing up all options before I get it done. Will also go and see Voyager & Promotor trailers and see what they have to offer. George at NT Unique is super busy for the next couple of months.

Will post before and after photos when I do, but probably won't happen in the next couple of months.
notsolucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by notsolucky »

Ive had a couple of custom trailers made for work and a mate recently had a is running gear replaced on a single axle trailer by Phil Trailers. He works out of his shed in palmerston and i've found his work to be good quality and price with quick turnaround. His number is 0417048556. He used to be an MVR inspector so knows plenty about trailer set ups and can do the rego paperwork if you need it.
Visit us at www.flickandflyjournal.com for fishing articles, tips and recipies from across oz
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Cheers notsolucky, appreciate the info.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

This is not a popular opinion but not sure why you would want to if you don't have to. 2 × the maintenance and expense combined with decreased maneuverability at low speed especially in reverse. Get a spare mounted to a hub with an axle stub and then mount that with spare shackles to a spare spring assembly mounted on the trailer.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I recently bought a 485 Trailcraft and thought about upgrading the voyager single to tandem. I was quoted around1800 for the upgrade. Although I would love the saftey of the tandem I could not justify the outlay.
I just did as deepblack suggested and mounted a spare on the axel snub.

I do think anything over 5m needs to sit on a tandem.

Progress motor , I find is the cheapest in town for parts and labour.