Electric Motor for 5m Alloy

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Electric Motor for 5m Alloy

Post by BarneyRubble »

Hi All,
I have been following the posts between Minn Kota and Motorguide and I have made the decision to go with the Motorguide so dont try and talk me out of it. What Im after though are recommendations for the size/power.

I have a heavy custom Heavy Duty Alloy, self draining deck with a 90hp, and I NEEEEED a electric motor! A couple of the good fishos reckon I will be right with the 12v but im a little hesitant and leaning towards the 24v.

I know if in doubt go the 24v, meaning I will be buying a TrollBridge24 (Yandina), but if I dont have to spend the extra $$ that would be great!!!!

Whats everyone reckon?

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Electric Motor for 5m Alloy

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Just as an example. My mate has a 12v on a 5.1 striker with a 115. It's heavy. 12v mg does it easy. I don't think you need the 24v
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Thanks mate, thats what i keep hearing! Thanks again
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

I also faced that dilemma last year when I decided to invest in an electric motor. I settled on the Motor Guide and have been very happy with it. I also have a heavy alloy boat (5.85m) and based on boat size MG recommends the 24 volt system however I did not want to carry (and store) another two batteries so I went with the 12 volt. What ended up swaying me to go this way was primarily the fact I fish virtually only for Barra so most of the time I use it I'm in sheltered waters. So for me it does the job but I concede it would struggle to hold my boat in position in open water in windy conditions or in a hard running tide. But having fished for thirty odd years just using the outboard I'm ok with this.
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I have a 5m heavy duty plate boat with a 90. I had a 12v and it was not enough - I now have the 80 but I have havnt had the chance to test it.

the strength of the motor was ok (but not excellent ) - the length of the shaft was too short. the 60ich shaft on the 80 should be better.
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Thanks all, Jonr think I was talking to you when I first was deciding on the boat. mmmmmmmm, decisions.....
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

5m quinny and wouldnt have anything btu the kota 80 on it- one day you will want the power and you will wish you went the 80 especially when its big run off. yes you need two batterys but an 80 will last longer than the smaller model. its like an outboard why underpower when you can spend a little more and have more hp. everyone will give you a different option bud and nobody is right or wrong but for me i said spend the extra money knowing that ive got the best and wont need to upgrade later on and it holds on a 7m rushing tide plus run off without missing a beat
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

ps we dont even have ours linked up charging off the motor, just whack the charger on when you get home from fishing and its done- used it for 3 days on the daly non stop and when we got back to charge still had 50% in the tank on the batterys- running 2x 130 agm- buy them off ebay its cheap and includes shipping the red ones got them two and a proper charger for $600
Kaos364
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kaos364 »

I run a 55lb MK on my 5.5 GS... It struggles, but for $300 I couldn't complain :P

Definately go the 24v MG.

Cheers, Mick
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

80lb for sure it will do it a lot easier than the 55....I have a 55lb MG on a 435 and it does it fine I recently changed to a 3 blade prop just see if it made a difference and it holds even easier now.....Good choice the MG I was using an MK on a mates boat earlier this week and it reminded me of how useless their spotlock function is compared to MG.
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Thanks all, yeh the spotlock was a big decider for me. IOM are having a sale I think atm where I can get the 80 MG for 2100 or there abouts... which I think is close to what I paid for the 55 MK 4yrs ago. I dont think I will be using mine in run off type movement but the ex missus use to say bigger the better
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

You'll never regret getting the 80
Hutchy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hutchy »

Personally I would go the 80. Iv got an 80 on a 530 top ender and it's awesome. Had a 55 on a 480 top ender and it struggled at times. If you do go the 55 make sure you get the 60 inch shaft as it will help in choppy/windy conditions
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

80 mg on my 485 and the spot lock is rock solid. Since its not working flat out the battery last a lot longer.