FFF Seadogs 2016 - ideas for discussion

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Each year the Seadogs comp starts with plenty of entries, but once there are clear leaders (excuse the pun) those who have not caught a fish lose interest, even though there are monthly round prizes.

There are always a lot of zero-fish entrants at the end of the year.

I don't believe the comp is an ideal design for an online fishing forum.

Much better to have a comp that maintains interest for competitors through the year.

I propose major changes.

Under the new comp, there would be two levels of prizes.

Level One would be annual trophies for best fish categories, to recognise skill and effort. Only Level One would require brag mat shots with newspapers.

Level Two would be a draw for material prizes, eg MotorGuide leccy motor etc. An entry in Level Two would be a photo(s) and short fishing report. Each entry gets a point. At the end of the year each entrant's total points go into a draw. Those with the most points will have the most chance of winning prizes in the final draw. Entries would be subject to quality control, a report with a crappy pic and no worthwhile info would be ineligible.

There would be no need to measure fish or have newspapers in Level Two.

Monthly rounds will simply describe what fish is eligible for the month.

Let me know what yooz think.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: FFF Seadogs 2016 - ideas for discussion

Post by Lats »

I think a part of the problem with people losing interest in the final rounds is that monthly prizes are not defined. I know Tonic are putting up a pair on sunnies for each round winners but is that it, or are there more prizes? And I'm not in any way, shape or form suggesting that what Tonic have done by donating these great prizes is a small gesture. Its awesome. Just saying that no one knows what they are competing for. Especially if you are paying $2-300 for a fishing trip. Obviously the major prize has been advertised but not everyone is in the running for that (including me). A lot of the time when I get home from work either the wind is blowing its guts out or the tides are wrong.

Personally, I am not a fan of the proposed changes. 15 x 30cm reef fish is better than an 80cm goldie.

I would like to keep the current format but instead of having only 1 scoring fish per month, I think it should be increased to 2. Then if someone goes out on the 1st of the month and bags a 130cm barra they cant say "I dont need to fish anymore this month because I have it won", because someone can go up a harbour arm and catch 2 x 70cm fish and beat them. It may create a flurry of fish entered on the last day of the month "cough cough Jonr cough cough" :lol: but everyone will still be in the game for prizes

My 2 cents worth. In the end, I am going to go fishing anyway
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Give it some thought I will ,,, hmmm

But not too much wrong with it as is ,
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

But not too much wrong with it as is ,
Tiz a good comp, but looking at all the donuts says to me it needs tweaking.

Plus we have had the same winner over the years ... need to give the lesser fishos some hope.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

This has been the problem over the last couple of years with a lot of donuts. I should know because the zero on my keyboard has been worn out :D :D

I agree that we keep the overall Seadogs competition going where competitors need to have the brag mat shot with paper etc.

How about a secondary comp where entrants submit their best photo and story of the month for the target species. No need for brag mat or paper as the time stamp on the image should suffice. This would double as fodder for Matt for his Sunday Terra column and also give every punter the opportunity to get their dial in the paper and win some great prizes. I don't know how it would be judged but there are some great fishing photos and stories posted on FFF every month that would be worthy.

My two bobs worth.

Cheers :cheers:
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

the formats pretty good I think , not that im in it this year. How about scrapping monthly prize for biggest fish and make it best comp related post for the month as in story pictures of a trip containing fish entered that month . make people who enter the comp contribute sum thing back. Nominate 5 fff regulars to judge best post for month, and who ever is judged best takes out months prizes. Keep the big prizes for first second and third for the over all year .
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Rewarding commitment, perspiration and skill is a must and in my view that means receiving the major prizes.

Maybe keep one majorish prize for effort eg. Must enter a fish in a minimum of 5 rounds or similar and this is randomly drawn from the pool that haven't won a round/prize etc.

Have 'wild cards' for the final 3 rounds so those who are 'traditionally' out of contention by Oct can still win. Eg. Might be a 67cm Barra or something very specific; first to register for the month takes the WC points. To be eligible you must have entered in a minimum of 3 rounds or similar. Need some thought around this so leaders can't claim, maybe those over 500cm?

Handicap winner or top 3 for the following year, say minus 200, 150 and 100cm.....

:mrgreen:
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

I am on the dreaded 0 tally but it's not from losing interest or lack of trying I can assure you that Matty, it's been a hard year for me that's all. I don't think major changes need to made, it is pretty well set up. Maybe drop the monthly prizes all together then sort the lot for the top 10 - 15 fishos at the end of the year?
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

The rule about not be able to enter a fish caught in another comp is bs, get over it Matt, you miss out on so much content if you didn't boycott the comp that can't be named.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The no-comp-fish rule applies to fish from all fishing comps Seano. That rule, and the no-fishing-guides rules, is intended to make it fairer on the less keen fishos.

Thanks for the input from everyone, keep the comments coming.

Need to hear from those who got donuts, not just the guns :mrgreen:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

PS re previous post, by "less keen" I mean those who don't get out as much for whatever reason
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Matt,
Ive got my sticker and am keen to have a crack next year.
I like your suggestions about the level 2 entries which would probably suit me but how do you prove without the date generated
on the photo when the fish was caught? or would that be a stipulation of entering the comp?
Edo
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Unfortunately the time stamps on "prints" are easily faked, and the EXIF data can also be tampered easily.

Might be that newspaper is the only way, the point is: Would people prefer to dump the nuisance paper at the risk of having the occasional cheat?.
Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

Habitual and consistent donutter here.
I like the lucky door prize. But only if you have entered a fish for the month.

Have an overall 1st 2nd 3rd.
A 1st for each round and a door prize for every month only for those that have entered fish.
And an overall door prize. Again only if entered a fish. C

Cant win more than 1 door prize.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

bump