Shady Camp Ramp

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Shady Camp Ramp

Post by smed »

Rather than hijack another thread, I thought I'd comment here (forgive me if it has been posted previously). I see that there's talk (place your bets) on the possibility of a croc attack at this ramp. I hate this ramp with a vengeance. I've used it twice this year, early when there was still fresh coming over the barrage, however I came in on the low & two weekends ago on the high. Call me paranoid, but this is not a ramp where I will have anyone on the trailer using the winch, which necessitates driving on to the trailer. I can get my decky into 200mm before they've got to leave the boat to retrieve the car & trailer, then get into 'deeper' water to drive the boat on. As a consequence I have sustained significant prop damage on both occasions. This is a price I'm willing to pay in order to 'lessen' the chances of anything going horribly wrong.
The fact that you now need to back your vehicle (at this time of year) up to 20m into the salt further deepens my hatred of this ramp.
God I hate this ramp. End of rant.

AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Shady Camp Ramp

Post by AJay »

Fish somewhere else then?
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Yep.....won't use it again until significant fresh is coming over again, even though my decky landed a couple of good fish. Spoke to Shane Compain prior to going on the last trip about how far back in etc. Was interesting to hear his thoughts about how the modifications made to Shady ramp have stuffed it up.
Even tried to rinse the running gear on my car on the fresh side, only to discover how quickly it drops off.
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

i fished it last week and didn't have any dramas. pulled in and out with the mid to high tide. saw many of other 6m+ boats come in and out with out issue either.

everyone's different i guess. i cant see the point of dropping it in the fresh side flush your car/boat. with out the run off flow pushing over the barrage its predominantly salt up there anyway.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

yeah its not a good ramp. (not even a ramp just a dirt road going into the water)

with the amount of traffick it gets you would think a better option would of been made by now.
i hate the rocks they have put in the ramp. more like bricks then crushed rock.
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

i like the rocks better traction for my 2wd hilux to put my boat in
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I find with a lot of fresh coming over, you have to walk further through the water to the boat. Either way, its crapola, no doubt. Down low now there is about 10cm of mud on the rocks too. Didnt trouble me but 2wd's might spin the wheels a bit getting out
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

The ramps cr.p better off fishing in the lizzy!!!
LCMA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by LCMA »

Never had a problem at the ramp, once you work out what your doing. Seen a lot of people having more problems than they should. I like telling people how bad the ramp is keeps more people away.
hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbit »

I never seem to have a problem at shady have seen a lot of people in the wet filling there cars up with water. Heading there tomorrow so will see if it's hard.
hobbit03
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Yeah - let's get a gazillion dollar ramp & all bitumen road upgrade out there, then we can have 300 rather than 80 boats in the conga line out the front.

The more people choosing to follow the 'gentlemans/easy' style of fishing might reduce some of the numbers up in The Bay on weekends ....