raising/lowering motor

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

raising/lowering motor

Post by anyxcuse »

hi,

im looking for a little extra bow lift. before i lock in a stainless prop im after some thoughts from you guys on whether or not you think that my motor is too high or low based on the pics.

pics are at wot and trimmed up fully.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: raising/lowering motor

Post by NathanL »

Too low. should be able to see your anti cavitation/vent plate.
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

ok. thanks Nathan.

i guess this is where im stuck. will lifting the motor give less/more bow lift though.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

depends on the hull - every boat reacts differently, however so long as your prop can hold on and not cavitate you should get more bow lift yes. Moving weight to the back might also help. what hull is it? a Formosa by the look of the transom?
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Wedge it
People wedge motors to bring nose down surely the opposite will work
Just a thought
Cheers
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Engine should be set so cav plate is in line with hull for starters and you can play with it from there, keep coming up until it cavitates then go down one Or even fit a hydrofoil and the staino and see how she goes. The make of hull makes a big difference. We have had issues with some quintrex hulls cavitating where if set the same on a seajay, theres no issue. A outboard running a stainless should sit higher then a alloy
Dont be scared its all trial and error really.
Wedges work to stop porposing and pull the outboard under the line of the boat so it can hook up never seen them used the othet way. Be a pr..k to take off from a standing start
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

cheers scott. i will wait for stainless prop to arrive and test before i go putting wedges in or lifting the outboard.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Just keeping it simple and probably a stupid question, but do you use your trim at full noise to pull the front up?More trim will pull the front up a bit just depends on how much you have to play with till it hits the limiter and comes out too far
Extreme option is a jacking plate... :D theres one we have fitted up and awesome to set a engine perfectly
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

yeh scottie. its trimmed as much as i can before it cavitates. I have a Solas HRT3 prop coming so i'll see what that does to bow lift and boat height. meant to be the ducks nuts.
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

update.

i since purchased a hrt3 solas stainless prop with the help from marcus at northern props. it has made a huge difference to the boat performance. the cav plate now sits just above the water and i have picked up about 5kph even when fully loaded.

its a new boat. very happy.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Why dont you put a hydrofoil on it..... I have two hydrofoils on two outboards...excellent results :mrgreen: :|
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

thanks ff. but i dont think i need one.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I don't think that hydrofoils are a bad option. When the budget is tight and or you don't have the tools / skills they can certainly be of benefit to the handling of a boat. But getting a prop and leg in the right position and with less is in the water will always be the superior result.
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

they have there advantages in different scenarios for sure dannet.