Barra at the end of November

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
West_Oz_Rossco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Barra at the end of November

Post by West_Oz_Rossco »

Gday all. Have been lucky enough to win a trip aboard Helifish and have decided to go on the last weekend in November on a pretty big tide. Obviously a lot will depend on rain but how are the Barra around this time and what are their breeding movements? Hoping the water has warmed up a bit by then and they are getting active. Cheers :drinking8:

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Barra at the end of November

Post by cuddlescooper »

Just hope it has'nt rained by then is all I will say!
West_Oz_Rossco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by West_Oz_Rossco »

Cool the water too much?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

If I had a choice I would go a lot earlier. If we get the first rains in my opinion the fish leave the coastal parts and start running up the big rivers ie the Daly. The rain also cools the water and washes burn off sediment into the drains and creeks taking the oxygen from the water. I also think the temperature in the shallow creeks really starts to get too hot. Most of the big tide fishing is at low tide. This is the only time the water cleans up. This leaves shallow puddles that get too hot for the fish to bite well before the rains. If it were me I would go early October or late September. This is only my opinion of it and from watching the Helifish facebook where they post there catches each day I would suggest 2 days before the dead neap tide as this seems to be when they post most of there bigger fish!

I could be way off the mark. Speaking to mark from Helifish would be advisable! He should know his spots better than any one.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Its a king tide, very short window of opportunity, but it depends on where you are fishing also, tides two weeks earlier look better, around 15th of November, 3 days after a new moon.
West_Oz_Rossco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by West_Oz_Rossco »

cheers for the info lads, I'll look to reschedule
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

I'm tipping no monsoons until late November early December. First storms around 15 October. Shouldn't be too much rain till the end of November in my opinion
West_Oz_Rossco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by West_Oz_Rossco »

locked in Sunday the 25th October, he's pretty booked out until then. Tides not as big that day but still enough for some run. Hopefully the big rains haven't started by then - that being said Im sure they have a range of spots to cater for different conditions!
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Yes Rossco, they do. You will do alright whatever tides mate. They know all the good spots.