Deal or No Deal?

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Deal or No Deal?

Post by balou »

Hey mate a mate has the same hull with a 135 varado, wot for him 65-66 km per hour. Can't comment about Honda but it should see better numbers then your 115 merc . His hull got a massive casting deck and 100l extra tank down the front which slows it up a lot.

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

balou wrote:Hey mate a mate has the same hull with a 135 varado, wot for him 65-66 km per hour. Can't comment about Honda but it should see better numbers then your 115 merc . His hull got a massive casting deck and 100l extra tank down the front which slows it up a lot.
Ok mate, cheers for that. Looks like the Verado weighs about the same as the Honda as well.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

My boat has always had an annoying tendency to 'porpoise '. I usually have to trim it down to stop, then gradually trim it up again. Drives me mad. I think it's partly because it has such a wide beam.

I'm worried that the extra weight of the Honda will exasperate the problem? Or maybe my old motor was never set up quite right?

Any other TABS owners experienced this?
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Hey scottmac...I have a Honda 130 on my 6mtr polycraft and when I purchased the boat (2nd hand with 65hrs on it) I was worried that the motor would not be big enough. I have been very pleasantly surprised by how easily this motor pushes this big heavy hull. It is no speed demon but out of the hole is ridiculously easy....and I have had the boat fully loaded many times and the motor just does the job.....very fuel efficient as well. Hope that helps!
No matter where you go, there you are!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

scottmac wrote:My boat has always had an annoying tendency to 'porpoise '. I usually have to trim it down to stop, then gradually trim it up again. Drives me mad. I think it's partly because it has such a wide beam.

I'm worried that the extra weight of the Honda will exasperate the problem? Or maybe my old motor was never set up quite right?

Any other TABS owners experienced this?
In my boat (not a TABS) I was able to reduce the 'porpoising' effect by moving weight forward. It will still happen if I trim the motor up too far but to a much lesser degree.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Mine had a shocking porpoise action. Fitted a wedge and foil. Great now. The wedge allows more trim down.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

nomad wrote:Mine had a shocking porpoise action. Fitted a wedge and foil. Great now. The wedge allows more trim down.
So with the wedge, I'm guessing it allows the motor to stay 'vertical' at the correct trim, but pushes the boats bow down more?