Bynoe Trip

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bynoe Trip

Post by jabsy »

On the last set of neaps in July we headed to Bynoe, in particular to fish a hole near Middle Reef where we filled the box on similar tides in march. There were 7 of us going in three boats. We launched at midday and punched straight out to Middle, anchoring up near a couple of boats that had the same idea. The sea was great, it was almost glass, and the ride out was smooth. Just how you want it... We dropped the baits, it was about 40m deep from memory, and we sat back listening to the footy and waiting for the fish.

And so we sat, and waited. And waited some more. Last time we had a mixed bag of redfish, jew, cod, trickies, salmon and goldies, including one goldie that went 76cm. This time we had a couple of small fish, nothing like the last visit. Tides, wind, times were all similar, just the water was warmer last time. Anyway we messed around for a couple of hours, a few local moves and then pulled the pin and headed to Fish Reef. Unfortunately the story was the same. We fished out there from about 5pm, (there were three boats in our party so we spread out to cover some ground) but the pickings stayed slim. By about 8pm we had moved to grounds NW of the fish reef marker, where Thorny finally got onto a couple of goldies.(smallish, around the 25cm mark) I think these guys were sent back as it was only shallow at that spot.

Well the beers were running low, and while we had hooked and boated 40-50 fish my esky remained empty. At around 8.30pm we decided to head over to Bass Reef. Marty had no marks for that area so we put him onto the edge of one of the first shoals,as it looked promisng. Thorny then went one way and I went the other. The radio arced up that marty had gotten onto some goldies, and some nice ones at that. I stayed over where I was, and Thorny moved closer to get in on the action. After continuing to catch nothing, i headed over to the other two boats, but the bite had slowed and then stopped...

It was probably 9.30 by now, maybe 10 at night. The weather was great, very little wind, not cold, but still an empty esky. It has been like this for me since the last Bynoe trip, my boat had had 2 keepers in the box in the numerous trips since. The wife is wondering how I can manage to spend so much money of fuel, bait, ice and beer and always come home with nothing. She might even be suspecting I am having an affair on the side and not fishing at all. (altho she does know that the boat is my secret mistress, I spend all my money on presents for her)

With the likelihood of getting no fish before the midnight tide change I picked another mark 4km away where I knew of a nice pinnacle in about 15m. 15 minutes later we ran over it a couple of times, it looked as sexy as ever with fish on the colour screen and we anchored up current of it on the first attempt. Baits went down and we waited, still listening to Port v Essington on the wireless, with the sound of the occasional tinnie being opened to the sound of defeat.

Not long after Paddy Ryder started kicking goals, and Dad hooked a nice little goldie of 25cm. Being too deep to go back home he was dispatched to the kill box and at last there was hope. Well the next 90 minutes restored faith to humanity, and my wife in general. The little pinnacle started producing some nice fish, and we ended up bagging out to our 9 goldies, with most between 50 and 60cm. Port had a win, my esky was at its limit, and Thorny came thru with some emergency beers, with the bite going off as the tide stopped. I would have loved to stay for the next run in but we couldn't take any more goldies, so we had no choice but to move and chase some jewies.

We headed back into Bynow, stopping at many holes along the way, looking for that elusive Jew. No luck. We made it back to the Crab Claw Jetty wreck at about 2am, and there were fish everywhere on the sounder. We had a few goes at anchoring, not quite getting it spot on, and then mary and Thorny pulled up and deployed their electrics and sat right on top of the good stuff. Marty/Adam hooked up a few times, got one jewie to the boat, while thorny fluffed around with his fancy new lights and minn kota before taking off to Pioneer Beach for a look around over there.

We stayed anchored up for a couple of hours, I was tired by now but it was still too shallow to get back on the ramp. We messed around with the baitfish that were attracted to the boat lights, I caught a couple of squid and dad scooped a nice muddie up in the landing net only to find out it was gravid so he sent it back carefully.

We got the boat on the trailer just after 5 am (thanks for the reverse Marty) and began the sleepy drive back to Darwin, getting in at about 8am. Wasn't looking forward to filleting the catch or cleaning the boat either....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Bynoe Trip

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great report Jabsy, which boat ramp did you launch from and is it safe to leave your car and trailer there?
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

We used Crab Claw, launch fees are the same price as a campsite, $40. We've launched/stayed there a few times, no issues. I'd recommend 4m minimum if you have a bigger boat, I have a few scuffs on the prop now from the retrieve...
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Good report. Thanks for the info. Nice feed of goldies.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Sweet lookin goldies
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Great read mate. Awesome goldies..
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Thanks Jabsy, I've never been out that way so I might have to give it a go now I know that my car will be safe.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

"Gravid" - there's a new one for my vocabulary :mrgreen:

You deserved a return after persevering throughout the night - I clearly drink too much ..... :sleep:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Smacked it jabsy ,,great trip & post .
Some good gold to be found around Bass for sure :mrgreen: