Lee Point Macks

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lee Point Macks

Post by jabsy »

My Dad and his mad mate Sam came up for a visit at the end of July.They were keen for a fish but there were doubts about Sams seaworthiness, so we did a test run out of Nightcliff with Sam having a a bellyful of Kwells. We did a gentlemens launch of midday and headed out to Angler Reef. There were maybe 6 other boats around but they all seemed to shoot thru from the Lee Pt grounds not long after we arrived. I thought maybe we had missed the fun... Anyway we anchored up on Anglers to see if any bottom feeders were around. Nothing more than a few small trevally, moonies and trickies, and a small flag which was sent to the bait tank for a swim. With the fishing slow we headed over to the bottlewasher to see what might be there, and to pin a hook and balloon into the stripey. The poor little guy would have only been in the water for 5 minutes when the TLD15 began its sweet song, i set the hooks and then handed the rod over to my old man, who got a nice 103cm mackie to the side. He fought like a drunken irishman as there was no hook in his mouth, just the stinger in the back of his head.

Nothing much else was coming up over the side, we moved around a bit looking for some more reefies, when I got another striupey, this time only about 10 or 12cm long. Another balloon out the back and another 5 minutes, bang. It was on again. I handed this one over to Sam, who hauled in a nice 120cm mack. This time the hook was in the mouth, and the stinger in the gill raker. Probably the biggest fish this guy has ever caught.

We moved around a bit more, tried the tippers, rick mills, but nothing on the bottom. We did end up with a huge school of fish under the boat at Rick Mills, but unfortunately I couldn't get the sounder to take a screenshot. It would have been a pretty cool picture. Headed back into Nightcliff for not enought water for my boat, so sat outside for an hour bouncing the reefs for nothing, then the Laurel and Hardy show with the two of them trying to reverse the trailer down the ramp. Lucky nobody else was waiting, I ended up having to beach the boat and reverse it down myself. Would have been great entertainment for the locals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lee Point Macks

Post by darwinguy »

Hats off for the old fellas. Nice macs
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great guiding mate, well done!

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

You're on the fish
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

nice macs and only a short trip from home, what a bonus.