False Killer whales at the Perons.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: False Killer whales at the Perons.

Post by nomad »

I thought they were different too
check this site
https://swfsc.noaa.gov/textblock.aspx?P ... 30&id=1432

The false killer whale and short-finned pilot whale are two of the cetacean species that have been observed taken by the longline fishery that operates in the central Pacific, and using our best available data, the false killer whale has been identified as a 'strategic' stock (Nitta and Henderson, 1993; Carretta et al., 2004). Both species are largely pelagic in distribution and are found in tropical and temperate waters of all ocean basins. We have been using the mitochondrial

DNA control region sequences to examine population structure. Our preliminary results show that for both species, the animals sampled around the Hawaiian Islands are separate, reproductively isolated populations and have likely been isolated from animals living in the eastern tropical Pacific for a long time. The data for short-finned pilot whales also suggest additional structure within the eastern tropical Pacific, and that neither species has a strictly matrilineal pod structure.

maybe the aussie ones are the same? they both look the same to me though :wink:

Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Soon, I will let you know, want to target goldies n jew havent fished for them for ages. No gold ?
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Nice redfish Balou, a stonker. All up a good haul by the looks of it.