too close for comfort.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
trackerV175
Silver Member
Silver Member

too close for comfort.

Post by trackerV175 »

What is it with people that need or have the urge to anchor or pull up and fish within metres of where your fishing, Last few trips this has happend, that close they tangle your anchor rope and fish your berley trail on top off your ballons. Im pretty cr.p at casting 12 ounce snapper leads,they can go anywhere so for your own safety please give a bit of space and respect while out on the water.

hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: too close for comfort.

Post by hottuna »

Even worse when they are noisy. I recently was on a pretty hot Jew bite and had a boat cruise past as we were fighting 2 fish. Despite best efforts to hide bent rods we got sprung. Quick u turn and old mate decides to dump 50metres of chain 15metres off my bow. The noise as it came off his winch was like somebody running fingers down a chalkboard. Took a good 20minutes before another fish even showed on my sounder.
Next day I ran 70kms. As I'm closing in on a pinnacle I see a boat anchored in the vicinity. Grrr was my first thought but as I narrowed the gap I realise his a good 100metres off where I wanna fish. Lures go in and first pass over the peak we get a double on good Spanish. Happy days as we snap a few pics off and process the fish. Lures go in and I swing around to make another pass only to find only mate has up anchored and jumped right on top of it. Just shook me head and left him to it.
Bluewater Dreamin'
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Yep been there many times. The worst one was out at Cape Hotham with our boat and another fellow FFF'r boat. We saw the Jewies on the sounder and gave each other plenty of room so we didn't interfere with each other. Then along comes old mate full of p..s and bad manners and anchors right between us, we tell him to re anchor so his not going to interfere with our fishing and get a pretty average response. Well, I hooked up big time and mr Jew swam straight at old mates anchor and the braid cut through his rope :lol: off old mates boat goes bobbing away with the tide. Back at the ramp that arvo, fellow FFF'R and us are discussing how good the fishing was blah blah blah and old mate comes up the ramp yelling abuse and threats then tells us we owe him an anchor! :evil: Honestly I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
All could of been avoided had old mate used his brains and not anchored on top of us! Sadly it is all to common these days!
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Could be worse ... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Matt Flynn wrote:Could be worse ... :lol:

...can always be worse !!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

The other week I anchored up near larakeyah reefs, not another boat in site. Old mate comes motoring over with wife and kids and drops the anchor, and as predidicted it was a direct collision course. My mate had to go up the front and push the other boat away to stop the collision. He was apologetic and didn't appear to be too experienced and with the kids I just kept my thoughts to myself. Funny thing is I wasn't even on a known mark and no other boats around meant there was plenty of spots.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Sometimes fishing within close proximity is unavoidable; take Black Fella Creek on the Roper for example. Back in April 2014 my brother, father and I were fishing the mouth of Black Fella Creek; due to the size of the creek and the hot spot being right at the mouth, real estate can be really tight and this time there were roughly 6 other boats, not including ours, tied up either side of the mouth. Unlike most of the situations mentioned above, each and every boat on this particular day work extremely well together. This was great for us as my brother hook a good barra on his light spin gear which, as Murphy’s Law would have it, swam around a neighbouring boats anchor rope twice, around their outboard leg, around their transducer, around their bait bucket and then proceeded straight out into the middle of the main river. In synchronisation with the other boat, we meticulously manoeuvred our boat around the other and painstakingly untangled each and every obstacle and gave chase. This labour intensive exercise was well worth it as he ended up getting a 105cm Barra out of, his PB to date.
Basically, if it weren’t for the patients and co-operation of the neighbouring boat, we would have lost this prize fish.
I believe a bit of co-operation, understanding, patients and compromise can go a long way to keep everyone happy and the fish coming over the side.
That said, it takes all sorts to make up this world and no matter how much you try, some people will never change; makes you wonder how it was their sperm who got to the finish line.
Jokes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jokes »

buzzdog wrote:Sometimes fishing within close proximity is unavoidable; take Black Fella Creek on the Roper for example. Back in April 2014 my brother, father and I were fishing the mouth of Black Fella Creek; due to the size of the creek and the hot spot being right at the mouth, real estate can be really tight and this time there were roughly 6 other boats, not including ours, tied up either side of the mouth. Unlike most of the situations mentioned above, each and every boat on this particular day work extremely well together. This was great for us as my brother hook a good barra on his light spin gear which, as Murphy’s Law would have it, swam around a neighbouring boats anchor rope twice, around their outboard leg, around their transducer, around their bait bucket and then proceeded straight out into the middle of the main river. In synchronisation with the other boat, we meticulously manoeuvred our boat around the other and painstakingly untangled each and every obstacle and gave chase. This labour intensive exercise was well worth it as he ended up getting a 105cm Barra out of, his PB to date.
Basically, if it weren’t for the patients and co-operation of the neighbouring boat, we would have lost this prize fish.
I believe a bit of co-operation, understanding, patients and compromise can go a long way to keep everyone happy and the fish coming over the side.
That said, it takes all sorts to make up this world and no matter how much you try, some people will never change; makes you wonder how it was their sperm who got to the finish line.

well said ill always be cosiderate and i use the electric as an anchour so im never noisy but if i go out fishing with a plan of attack in mind i wont change spots just cause there is another boat on a mark, keeping that in mind it all depends on the location if there is another mark very similar ill head to it before joing others!!
"where did you go fishing"

"in the water"
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

I go fishing to get away from people - could never understanding the sheep mentality when it comes to anchoring close to someone else - does my head in!

Hmmm need to increase my fuel tank size again.......
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

dan444 wrote:I go fishing to get away from people - could never understanding the sheep mentality when it comes to anchoring close to someone else - does my head in!

Hmmm need to increase my fuel tank size again.......
Totally. Its just like when you go camping and someone else makes camp right next to you. I used to camp a lot in the bush and when people moved in next to me, i would crank up the music really loud, Once i acted like the bloke from Wolf creek walk around talking to myself and yelling like a lunatic. - they soon bolted :twisted:
Fishful
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fishful »

I don't mind sharing, you have to realise that some places you cannot expect to have the whole area to yourself and it's good to be considerate and share, but the other day I was fishing with the family and a bloke virtually tied to my engine. I said come on mate that's a bit much. He got really p...ed off, called me everything under the sun and left. Bit rough considering he was in the wrong.
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

He he, when I did my charter days we worked between the Kimberley and Fremantle. Down in Freo I would occasional have a passenger down the back with a handheld GPS pinging my very hard earned spots.

When I saw them I would saunter up and say something like "hey is that the latest model Garmin (whatever) , I love those things ...may I have a look?"

When they duly pass the GPS over the batteries are removed and used for berley........

Should have seen the looks and dropped jaws.........
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

I have a good old trick I have used with success in some of the stocked big Qld dams in the past. Usually when you find a good troll run or hook a fish every man and there dog see's it and comes over and all but ties to your boat or follow your run. So now we move to distant spot out of the way start taking random pictures in all directions with the flash on flicking 5 or 6 times every 5 or so minutes while we have a drink, watch and laugh. Sure enough boats start heading your way from every direction thinking your taking photos of a couple of prize barra just caught. When they get there tell them it's a top spot then you move on to your spot. Watched boats sit there for hours trying to get a barra like you did apparently.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

I have a good old trick I have used with success in some of the stocked big Qld dams in the past. Usually when you find a good troll run or hook a fish every man and there dog see's it and comes over and all but ties to your boat or follow your run. So now we move to distant spot out of the way start taking random pictures in all directions with the flash on flicking 5 or 6 times every 5 or so minutes while we have a drink, watch and laugh. Sure enough boats start heading your way from every direction thinking your taking photos of a couple of prize barra just caught. When they get there tell them it's a top spot then you move on to your spot. Watched boats sit there for hours trying to get a barra like you did apparently.