4 mile hole advice

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

4 mile hole advice

Post by Anthony92 »

Evening guys,

Just wanting to know whether you can fish landbased at 4 mile hole and whether it's worth it at this time of year? never been out that way before

Bad thing about not having a boat and missing all the good spots any recommendations will be greatly appreciated :fishing:

BUNDY56

Re: 4 mile hole advice

Post by BUNDY56 »

Anthony92 It's a fair hike out there' not bad if the track is ok with fairly limited access for LB. Haven't been out this year yet but all reports suggest the weed is worse than last year which again limits your options.Beware of the crocs if you go and especially at night. There is no shortage of them. Makes it hard without a boat doesn't it?
hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbit »

The weed is really bad you can't cast off the bank anymore
hobbit03
ARGONAUT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ARGONAUT »

Drive all the way to West Alligator Head, good camping ground and one of the best land base spots I go fishing on, big crocs just off the beach but the water is that clear sometimes you can see them hundreds of meters away, hint find the black rocks and you find big Barra and Monster Thread Fins, I have NEVER come home with out fish but highly recommend a very good 4 wheel Drive, you have to cross a black soil plains and jungles, takes about 4 hours drive from Darwin, Good Luck also I haven't been this year yet but going soon...
Failing to Plan, Is Planning to Fail......
ARGONAUT
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ARGONAUT »

A West Alligator Barra
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Failing to Plan, Is Planning to Fail......
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Thanks for the advice guys, Just hung around the bynoe area today nothing to show but Powertail sadly. I'll keep exploring google earth until I get myself a boat eventually
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Be f.....d if Id fish four mile landbased, one of the biggest crocs Ive ever seen was in there and plenty more that aren't shy of coming up to say hello
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Best fished from a boat mate. The weeds clogged it up big time. Plenty of fish in there tho. I reckon the bigger fish would come on at night.
Mad KEEN!
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Cheers guys, one day I'll get a boat and head out on the water
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Two mile hole is okay for for Bank fishing Anthony, I haven't pulled any Barra out of there lately but plenty of big toga....just remember to stand well back from the waters edge.....weedless soft plastics are great there and you can really walk them through the snags
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Thanks tristan, Will have to go out for a drive and have a look sometime with my rod in the car. As for standing back happy with that don't want to be taken by a snapping handbag
Mikey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mikey »

Hi Argonaut,
Was after a bit more info on west alligator camping, is it possible to tow and launch 5m boat into the spot you refer to.
Another question, what is best time of year to go?
Nothing better than big barra ang threadfin
Thanks
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Went out last week to 4mile, weed is bad. Landbased would be a waste of time, hard going only got 2 barra and about 12 toga (3 people, 2 days) Road has been graded since open. Not open to West Head yet.
hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbit »

Just came back from 4 mile. Weeds worse then 3 weeks ago. 2 days fishing with 2 boats roughly 20 legals to 69 and a few smaller ones. Only really going good in the morning and afternoon. Few other boats say they caught nothing.
hobbit03
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Just on the West Alligator, I'm pretty sure that it is closed to fishing, so make sure you are familiar with closure areas before you go there.