water temps

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Jokes
Gold Member
Gold Member

water temps

Post by Jokes »

has enyone taken notice of the bellow average water temps effecting reef fish????? few of the usual spots have had not much action happening over the last couple of weekends. im wondering peoples opinions on if its the water temp contributing to the lack of fish

"where did you go fishing"

"in the water"
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: water temps

Post by Lats »

Whether its water temp or food, but every year they move out to deeper water (I think) or at least different areas. . Build up and run off is best for me. I know you can find big balls of snapper over mud this time of year (probably chasing prawns)
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Wet season is better for reef fishing close inshore, charters do quite well in the dry season also including jew fish close to shore, fish have to eat, they just change the food source and area they hunt.
Jokes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jokes »

yeah i deffinatly agree on the change of food source, my opinion is that the bait finds warmer water and thats where the fish are

"in the water"
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The dry season is the worst time of year to fish for reef species. End of July, August/spetember are the hardest periods for fishing inshore. During the wet season the bait breeds and all the reef species come inshore to fatten up on prawns as the fresh water pushes them out of the rivers and creeks.

The fish stocks don't improve till the wet season starts when we get a fresh run of snapper and Jew out of the gutters. Water temp doesn't matter in my opinion as long as it is stable. If its dropping then the fish go quite but once it settles they come on again. Usually deeper water is more stable in temperature which is why it fishes better at this time of year in my opinion.
Jokes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jokes »

Good food for thought, would you class dundee as out wide?? It is open to the ocean not a shelter harbour!

"in the water"
Jokes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jokes »

Good food for thought, would you class dundee as out wide?? It is open to the ocean not a shelter harbour!

"in the water"
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

After a lot of rain the Jew fish move offshore in the Dundee area and get caught on wide marks, salinity is yet another factor. Lots more bait in the Harbour during the Wet season especially up the arms.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Jokes wrote:Good food for thought, would you class dundee as out wide?? It is open to the ocean not a shelter harbour!
Yes and no. Dundee is a big area. I fish around 100 km of coast line from the launch site at Dundee. You can fish with in 1km of the boat ramp in 10 foot of water or miles out to sea in 40 +m. Dundee still has fresh water influence from the Finniss and Bynoe harbor so I wouldn't necessarily say it is all open sea current ect. The Perons gets a big influence from the Daly river. In the wet go down that area and see how many big logs are floating around as an example of the fresh water influence.