Good barra fishing trip

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Jpalla5

Good barra fishing trip

Post by Jpalla5 »

Hello everyone, I am new to the area and just wanted to know some decent spots to fish for barra from shore. I am pretty limited on time that I can spend fishing, but am looking to try and fish a few times in the next few months. Couple of questions, are day barra charters worth the price? Is there any areas to shore fish that isn't too overgrown? Or is someone on here willing to take 2 guys out for a day? ( we will provide the beer) :)

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Good barra fishing trip

Post by jeffish »

east point is a good option, been getting a few down there on the push
in tide about an hour or so after the low.
Shallow lures like jnr B52's work well .
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Jeffish, Do soft plastics go well there?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Jpalla5 wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the area and just wanted to know some decent spots to fish for barra from shore. I am pretty limited on time that I can spend fishing, but am looking to try and fish a few times in the next few months. Couple of questions, are day barra charters worth the price? Is there any areas to shore fish that isn't too overgrown? Or is someone on here willing to take 2 guys out for a day? ( we will provide the beer) :)
Book a charter with Carl aka Ringy at "Darwin Barra and Crab". He has been producing good numbers of fish in the harbor over the spring tides. They wont be huge fish but up to 75cm pretty regularlly. He can show you the basic harbor techniques lures ect that you can use in other places and full of knowledge of Darwin harbor.

As for land based any where along the coast that has lights at night and cast small plastics is a good chance of a barra. East point isn't a bad choice, Buffalo creek on a incoming tide coming off the neap tides. Find any where that has colour changes Ie clean to dirty water on the edge of eddies. Takes a long time to work land based fishing out around Darwin but the potential for big fish one worked out. Howard river rock bar is another good spot if you have a 4wd.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Anthony92 wrote:Jeffish, Do soft plastics go well there?
I don't use any type of sinking lure in the shallows as I find a slow
retrieve and twitch works best , SP sink too fast and snag .
Most of the areas I fish are less than a meter deep . I do
use large SP's on the eastern side where there's more water
but mainly get queenies and small macks .
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Thanks mate, went on the end of the low and incoming this afternoon and was casting in the water color change. Didn't bring anything in but did loose a shallow diving lure to something big as it ran towards the rocks. Not going to lie not that great with using lures I'm pretty new to using them. But I'm sure with a bit of practice I'll see what works well

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I've lost plenty tooo lol

Tried a few , but like Reidys jnr B52s . They don't seem to dive as deep
and have a better floatation to let them back off a snag.

I go back the next low to get my lost lures back :D
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Next time you head out there could you let me know? Like seeing other peoples experiences and techniques. Hopefully within the next year I'll get a boat and head into places I haven't been yet. Haven't fished once in a boat here yet so have heaps to learn