WTF NEWS FLASH: Pros allowed to fish in NT closure zones

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: WTF NEWS FLASH: Pros allowed to fish in NT closure zones

Post by cuddlescooper »

It's not farkin rocket science. If those clowns in government cant see that every amature fisherman is going to vote there behinds out the door if they don't get there shitt together and make it a fair playing field (one out all out) then they in no way have any capability's to run the NT. We all know they don't any way but a group of 10 year olds could at least work that out.

ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Not that easy Cuddles

Problem with amateur fishing vote is we can't even get our poop together to agree what we want.
We have AFANT running an agenda that I believe the majority don't agree with.
Obviously it doesn't leave the Govt shaking in there boots when we cant even agree amongst ourselves.
Gagey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gagey »

I was advised the other day that if there was an election next week, the only member guaranteed of retaining his seat would be the fisheries minister. I cant even say his name BBrrr. Katherine has always been loyal to the sitting members, no matter how bad they were or what porky's they told. All I can say to you Tristan, if you can get some sort of agreement from them go for it. I doubt that you will, as the minister has to save face, and the PS don't like to be called liars. Best of luck to you lad, your going to earn your money now.
Gagey
PS don't worry about the forum members, If they didn't have you to beat around the head they have to write to Chloe and she doesn't take shite from them either.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Cheers Gagey, the government is organising a meeting with other stakeholders within the Resource Sharing Framework to find a solution acceptable to all parties. I'll do my best to keep you in the loop.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

In truth I cant see it making much difference to numbers of reef fish or jew taken out of those areas.
For me the main issue is who if anybody lied during or subsequent to discussions in the prelude to the changes, and should the outcome of that enquiry be that it simply wasn't explained or understood adequately, whom the persons that negotiated the format of these closures on behalf of amateur fishermen were.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

FYI as per our Facebook page today

As per the Fisheries Ministers announcement on the ABC Tales from the Tinny segment last Saturday AFANT is pleased that the Government is prepared to sit down and address our concerns around Commercial fishing in the reef fish protection areas. Full podcast of the interview available below. Minsters interview starts at 4:55.

http://ab.co/1H5mTHr
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Make sure you record every word said, make copies, get it transcribed, printed and lock it in a vault. even then they will deny it!
Gagey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gagey »

Oh Nomad, and people think I'm cynical
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

tristan.sloan wrote:FYI as per our Facebook page today

As per the Fisheries Ministers announcement on the ABC Tales from the Tinny segment last Saturday AFANT is pleased that the Government is prepared to sit down and address our concerns around Commercial fishing in the reef fish protection areas. Full podcast of the interview available below. Minsters interview starts at 4:55.

http://ab.co/1H5mTHr

Good opportunity Tristan.

At this stage (as you know) it's largely irrelevant if or how many people were aware of the design of these areas; a poor decision is a poor decision. A decision that ultimately rests with the Minister.

If he won't budge maybe he should have these areas re-named 'Recreational Fishing Exclusion Zones'. Call them what they are.

I'm a firm believer that there is a disturbance factor associated with any /all commercial activity (and rec fishing to a lesser degree) regardless of the target species and depth fished. The areas are either protected or not. Do or Do Not......
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Or get them open for recreation fishing for the same species as the pros because they are not closed areas anymore

And ask

What are the by-catch rules for the pros in these areas ?
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

trawlers stuff areas more than any other form of fishing and they are the ones still allowed. It's bullshitt
tangles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tangles »

Page 9 yesterday's daily rag.(Ntnews)rob fish claims rec sector takes 90 tonnes
Of golden snapper with the pro's only taking 4.5T.he didn't mention that there are 52 licence
Holders - not all active.i wonder where the 90 tonne figure comes from.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

tangles wrote:Page 9 yesterday's daily rag.(Ntnews)rob fish claims rec sector takes 90 tonnes
Of golden snapper with the pro's only taking 4.5T.he didn't mention that there are 52 licence

Half of that 90T is Jeff :D
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

It comes from people boasting how good they are in phone surveys. Then multiplying by the number of people they calculate go fishing.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

tangles wrote:Page 9 yesterday's daily rag.(Ntnews)rob fish claims rec sector takes 90 tonnes

This has been the crux of the issue for some time I believe (ie. fishing-politics-f10259/fishing-closures-and-changes-to-limits-t33718-75.html?hilit=catch rates)
How anyone came up with the amateur take far outweighing the professional is beyond me and logic.
And as cuddles alluded, its not just the take that's detrimental, but the method also i.e. trawlers.