His first fish was a beauty!

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

His first fish was a beauty!

Post by nomad »

Went out in the harbour yesterday with a friend's young bloke to chase tuna. He has only started fishing recently so this was an opportunity he wasn't going to miss
There were a few other boats doing the same and the action soon started.
Following a couple of birds and soon enough I could see the familiar boil of a tuna school busting up. No other boats were on the school so I raced in and knocked the boat out of gear and steered away from the school while we came to a stop. I cast the slice over the school which was heading towards us.
Bang hook up and on within seconds. Worked the fish to the boat but dropped it right next to the boat. Good thing anyway ans I was going to let it go anyway. I don’t know how tunas fair after getting caught but there wasn’t any blood in the water so I hope it was ok.

The young bloke was busy trying to get his lure in the water and was a bit flustered. He was only able to cast about 15m but it was a start.
So after that, we practiced casting and his distance improved to around 40m, which was pretty good for a novice 11 year old kid.
This was only his 3rd time fishing and his only catch before this was a shark. He was so rapped with that anyway.

So back into the hunting mode and spotted a few boats chasing a big school so I positioned the boat about 100m away and hoped they would head out way which they did.

The young bloke nailed a good cast for no result but I got a nice hookup and worked it to the boat.
We then moved on looking for more action and his whole persona had changed. He was in the groove by this time his eyes were like saucers while he scanned the horizon looking for anything that would give the feeding frenzy away.
We found another school and cast into but he missed out again so I cast for him. And got a hookup.
With a bit of help on the rod, he managed to get it into the boat and the usual pics were taken.
He tells me he loves tuna fishing now and took the fish home for his family to feast on

Good on you Daniel. Another fisho is now hooked into the sport.
Im sure he’ll will be back and as keen as ever
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: His first fish was a beauty!

Post by JewieQueen »

Onya Dad :roll: I mean Nomad :rofl:

Good to see you are getting amongst them and better still getting another young one into angling :mrgreen:
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

It's all over for that poor young fella. Every single dollar he earns from now on will go toward this addiction. Well until he gets married and the mrs sends him to rehab.

Thanks for posting nomad also great to see kids getting into fishing.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Good work Nomad!

Maybe Daniel can assist you with your metery quest :D
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Well done young fella... NICE
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Top Stuff Mark :applause: Great sport for a young gun , well done :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

[quote="JewieQueen"]Onya Dad :roll: I mean Nomad :rofl:

quote]
yeah good onya, I'll never live that one down Lenna

His family dont have a boat and are rapped that he's into fishing.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Well done Mark, get him addicted early!
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Unreal Mark. Great to see you're getting the young fellas out and into it. Well done.
hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbit »

Good work. I'm still yet to catch a tuna might try next week
hobbit03
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Now Nomad,
I am not sure if I should congratulate you for offering to this kid a great memory that he will keep for all his life, or to call you a pusher...
Because now by your fault, this poor soul will be totally addicted to fishing, and will never be able to shake it off...
:wink: :lol:

Well done mate.
:mrgreen:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I know pech. His sister wants to go now. His mum has been hinting to take him again. Its hard work
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Nomad you will need to get a bigger boat to fit all your apprentices in ;) Great work getting another young angler addicted
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Onya Mark, great to see you giving the younguns a leg up, and, what better boat to do it on. :applause:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.