Run to the Perons

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Run to the Perons

Post by balou »

My mate and I spent the last 2 days down at the Perons . It's been crazy busy at work with a lot of special events every weekend for the past 5 weeks so it was good to get away.

We arrived at the ramp at 6.30 am and it was absolutely freezing with just the jumper on. We had to dig out the rain coats to keep the body heat in. The tractor pulled the out one of the pros who just come from channel point. My mate knew one of them so we had a bit of a chat. They reckon they had a crackin trip and that they had to fillet fish instead of trunking them because they ran out of space in the esky .The jewie were all big and it was the best trip the had as they never had to fillet on the water before.

They would not tell us how many jewies caught but they said it went off. We had mixed emotions about this info but keen to get amongst them.

It was fairly bumpy ride to blaze which we stopped for afew goldies to 45cm . Then the sharks move in big time and followed us to every reef within 5km. We decided to catch the turn of the tide so we headed towards the Perons . There were 4 boats on the ledge and we were surprised there was no pro boats. We saw angler choice catch a couple but everyone else missed out. Bit rough to go wide so went to chase some queenie which we landed 3 nice ones. The corona and the early start got to us so we found a place for a nanny nap.

We fish the bottom of the low at 10.30 pm but the tide was a 4 m run so we had a small window. The wind picked up but bareable. We landed 3 jewie but only 1 nice big one . We had a work light hanging of the bait board . Before long we had thousands of blue salmon smashing all the gar fish attracted to the light. Great fun on the Barra gear with a fish a cast. Pulled the pin around midnight with the blues still boiling everywhere. We were too hang over to get up for the 5.30 turn so we got up at gentlemans hours.

Decided to fish the turn before heading back. There were 5 boats on the ledge and we didn't see a jew caught for that turn. Umm maybe the pro boat caught them all or the tides were starting to get too big.

Dropped in a blaze for couple of goldies and cods. My mate landed this nice cobia and then we started dropping fish after fish. Frustrated we chased birds for a while but we could not land a fish to save ourselves . My mate lost 2 long tail and a Mack at the boat.

Pulled out 5.30 and headed home. Not a lot of fish but a great trip with relatively good condition for the 2 days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Run to the Perons

Post by jabsy »

Thanks for the report, well done on the fish. Water looked nice out there which would have been a bonus.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Cracker cobe. And im spewing about the queenies because I chased them on that spot 2 weeks ago for zip. Water looks alot better in your photo's compared to when we were there though.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Onya Tran 8) , A few good ones there mate , great post.

We lost a lot of Tuna on Saturday ,all seemed like solid
hook ups but once near the boat ,,,,all over . Got the
jigs back and no bent hooks ,they must be on steroids
this year :o Cool size Cobia gotta be happy with that :mrgreen:
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

At least it sounds like the braid held together tran. We will do another run down that way soon but it I would be nice to get the weather where your not battling it at some stage. It will happen I guess.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Some ripper reports coming in during the windy season. Cracker fish Tran
Adzsee
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Adzsee »

I'd be happy with a session like that where I come from, good on ya mate, not a bad day out
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

AM wrote:At least it sounds like the braid held together tran. We will do another run down that way soon but it I would be nice to get the weather where your not battling it at some stage. It will happen I guess.
Looking forward to the next trip mate, would have loved to have a cabin boat afew times during this trip.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great post mate, a few quality fish there.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

nice work mate,what size boat?
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Edo wrote:nice work mate,what size boat?
580 tomahawk with 175 Suzi
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Nice work Balou :mrgreen: Definitely seems to be plenty of Cobia about at the moment.

:cheers:

Melv