Dundee Bashing.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dundee Bashing.

Post by cuddlescooper »

With a plan set we headed off to Dundee last weekend despite the strong winds predicted. Steele only had a couple of days back in town from work so we either went on those days or not at all. We hatched a plan to fish wide of Blaze Friday afternoon taking advantage of a small break in winds and be hidden in close to Blaze by midnight ready for the winds to kick in by early morning. We launched at 5pm and With a quick run out over reasonably flat but swelly seas we eventually landed on our fishing grounds. The next 2 hours proved hectic and we managed to fill our bag limit for 2 people of Red Emperor, Small and large mouth Nanagai, coral trout, cod and a few goldies. In between bottom fishing the mac tuna turned up and we managed to pick a few of them off for bait.
Dundee 001.JPG
Dundee 004.JPG
Eventually we started making our way back into shore with the plan to chase a Jewy but the wind started early and the swell increased. This was a sign that by early morning it was going to be very choppy. With this in mind I made way as close into blaze as possible to set anchor for the night. Once in tight to the shore in calm waters we decided to cook a couple fish and have a few :drinking5: to pass the time. We then decided to get some shut eye and see what happened the next morning.

By 1am I awoke to the howling of the wind front that hit. It had to have blown 25 knotts or more and didn't let up all night or morning. On top of the wind I was also awakened by the sound of a pro barra netting boat arriving. He too was trying to find a safe anchorage and somewhere out of the wind. After watching him for an hour I eventually got back to sleep and stayed in bed untill 11am the following morning.

Eventually we dragged our self out of bed and processed a couple of small goldies for breakfast. Once done I decided to skulk along in close to shore and make my way towards the Perons. After dodging the netters gear along the beach and in near gods creek I eventually ran over a bommie that looked a bit different on the sounder and did a drop. We stumbled on a couple of good goldies to 70cm for our trouble.
Dundee 005.JPG
With the goldie bag done we moved again and headed into the Perons targeting a jewy to completly round out our bag again. We tried 2 different lumps for no result. I then remembered a lump I had found a couple years ago on another trip that I had marked. It had produced Jewy's on gulps and I had never bothered fishing it since (just another mark on the GPS screen that I havent really bothered to explore properly). As soon as we arrived the fish bit and I boated the first Jew around the 110cm mark (i may have to pay this spot a bit more attention). In the mean time Steeles line had been bitten off by a shark. I then dropped down and hooked another fish straight up. I passed this fish over to Steele to fight and land as it was the last one for our bag and this way we would have both landed a Jewy. This fish ended up going better than 120cm and was a nice way to round out the bag.
Dundee 006.JPG
We then had a quick troll of the south Island for a queenie but the water was dirty and rough so we decided it was time to head back to the lodge and have a brew or 10 in prep for a mates birthday party being held in one of the holiday shacks at Dundee beach. All in all was a great trip despite the weather forcing us to hide for 90% of the time. :drinking8:The party was also a good way to round out the week end. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee Bashing.

Post by jeffish »

Ripper report Pete , always good to bag out against the odds
of the weather . Out of bed at 11.00 ,, classic :cheers:
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Jeez, those fish are awesome. Now that is a trip to remember. Thanks for the report and well done! :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Got some nice fish there fellas
Well done
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Well done Peter. So there was just the two of you ..... and the accountant to keep track of the bag limit right. Sounds like a good trip I have got one of those gotta go trips coming up this months as well. Lucky though the brother is an accountant.
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

nice work boys,some stonkin fish
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Sounds like an awesome trip with some ripper fish. There is no way I could do an 11am wake up, but I guess there is no reason to wake up earlier if the wind is howling
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Well done! Great trip despite the rough conditions and some awesome fish! Gotta be happy with that!
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

Awesome trip good work
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Big TICK CC!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Nailed it mate, sounds like an awesome trip.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great trip and post, hopefully I can get out that way one day.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Lats wrote:Sounds like an awesome trip with some ripper fish. There is no way I could do an 11am wake up, but I guess there is no reason to wake up earlier if the wind is howling
Lol. If you had consumed as many rum and cokes as we did you may very well have stayed in bed until 11am as well. In any event it blew 20 knotts all morning and we didn't need a lot of fish to fill the bag any way. Even when we did get up We just took it easy and explored looking for some new inshore grounds for future runs. This of course required a few "hair of the dogs"(malibu and juice for breakfast) :drinking2: :mrgreen:
AM wrote:Well done Peter. So there was just the two of you ..... and the accountant to keep track of the bag limit right. Sounds like a good trip I have got one of those gotta go trips coming up this months as well. Lucky though the brother is an accountant.
I wish there was an accountant, then we could have kept another 15 fish :P . I was the accountant and it was a bit of a mission to keep count on the Redfish. We ate 3 fish the first night so that we brought the bag back into line from an initial mis-count. :roll: . It was even a bit more challenging to only hook either large or small mouth. Fortunately we worked it out from the sounder and the way the fish were sitting that if we only dropped the baits down to mid water or higher we got small mouth Nanagai. If we dropped down to 4m off the bottom we got large mouth Nannagai or Goldies. If we got to the bottom the Red Emperor bit. We also only used huge baits so that any bait pickers wouldn't hook up. It worked out well in the end and gave us a means of targeting different species.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Amazing!
Adzsee
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Adzsee »

Far out mate that's a cracking bag in anyone's language, bl..dy good effort