Building Your Own Territory Tough Boat Trailer

Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Building Your Own Territory Tough Boat Trailer

Post by Jackh »

Gday Guys, well my Telwater Ally Trailer has cracked a main support beam on its 3yr Anniversary. So, im at a predicament, do i build my own trailer out of C section steel and get it gal dipped or do i beef up the Ally Trailer (not my preferred option). My only speed hump that i can see with building my own trailer is how do i get it registered. Do i keep it to the same dimensions and keep the single axle and then just swap data plates over to the new frame or do i have to have the whole thing re-certified. Ideally id love it to be dual axle, but my current trailer is only single. If any one has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Building Your Own Territory Tough Boat Trailer

Post by cuddlescooper »

When you rebuild the trailer do it to the specs you want. Take it over the weigh bridge. Go get a new data plate from promotor trailers. Once its built to rego standards (google MVR NT) sign a stat dec to say its built to road worthy standard and run it over the pits. Its a bit of messing around but you will end up with what you want.

If its dual axel it will need mechanical brakes, Brake disks.Ensure you use a rated safty shackle, have the correct reflective lights, ect all on the mvr web site.
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Cheers, ive got all that gear on my old trailer. Just whether i swap it all over and scrap the old frame or get the beam repaired and sell it.
O&Bfisherers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by O&Bfisherers »

rated towing chain as well as the shackles ... the MVR site on trailers is quite good... just make sure if you rebuild your trailer make sure you read the MVR trailer info sheets a few times ...
Owen and Belinda
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ya, I had to take off a humungous heavy chain because it wasn't rated, and put on piddly little chain that was rated. Gotta love rules.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

I have built 2 trailers in the past year and it's easy to get it Inspected at mvr. With a new trailer with brakes its 5 and 10 years for inspections. There is some useful info about building to requirements on the net.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
jep
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jep »

Has anyone come across a Tait Welding trailer from Innisfail?