Whats my prop pitch and size

Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Whats my prop pitch and size

Post by Andy Grey »

Anyone know off the top of thier head what the standard prop size and pitch is on a 2006 yammy 40 fs? Can have a look next time I can get off this island and over to my boat but thought I would ask the knowledge base here, also can anyone recommend a prop pitch and size for a 435 hornet trophy with two up around 150kg total, 75ltr under floor, esky and other bits? Not looking for speed more all rounder performance.

http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Whats my prop pitch and size

Post by dannett »

Should be stamped on the prop. The first number will be the diameter the second the pitch. Check page 12 of the manual http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/serv ... 0_1397.pdf unfortunately the starndard prop size isn't in the specifications.
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

Hey mate, at a guess I'd say an 11G would be your best bet.
pedro
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pedro »

talk to Solas propellers, they will sort you out and set you up with the best prop for what type of boating you do.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Cheers guys, will look at my prop next time i can get too my boat. Would a stainless be agood option if using the boat in the rivers i have heard that its better to have alu to save damadge to the gear box etc if you hit somthing?
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
pedro
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pedro »

An alloy prop is more forgiving than the SS if you hit something, and a lot cheaper too.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Andy Grey wrote:Cheers guys, will look at my prop next time i can get too my boat. Would a stainless be agood option if using the boat in the rivers i have heard that its better to have alu to save damadge to the gear box etc if you hit somthing?
in a word no!
ss in blue only. Ally in the rivers. I i killed 2 ally props on the daly . If i had a ss prop on, there would have been tears i reckon
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:in a word no!
ss in blue only. Ally in the rivers. I i killed 2 ally props on the daly . If i had a ss prop on, there would have been tears i reckon
I'm not so sure, I think that stainless is more forgiving than most people think. I reckon it depends on what you hit and how hard you hit it.

I run a 100 HP yammy with a Stainless prop and when poking in around structure often here a few scratches or a clang from the prop or feel the hull touch some structure. I tend to quickly snap it out of gear when that happens and typically it's always around idle speed anyway. Occasionally i'll knock something hard enough to stall the outboard but 9 times out of 10 when I check it out and inspect everything I can't detect any new scratches and the run out looks fine. But the few times I have run an alloy prop I have left noticeable scratches and chips in the prop from what have generally been light impacts. I'd hate to have to give it some revs in the mud with an alloy on.

I think you'll get much longer life out of a stainless steel prop, even in the rivers, I have over 600 hours on mine and it is still in excellent condition, my two damaged alloy props probably have less than 50 hours between them. I'm pretty sure even those green hire boats run the stainless prop on their 100 yammies and you can spot the damage to the props from a distance. It looks like people have got away with a lot. Just travel at a safe speed in unfamiliar areas and if in doubt throw it in neutral.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I run a stainless and as said above, If you hit some thing do it at idle. If you hit some thing hard chances are it will cause problems no matter what prop you run because it will more than likely hit the gear casing as well. If you hit some thing at idle it will stall the motor or just pull it out of gear, lift the motor and float or push off the obstruction. With the alloy you touch any thing you will be buying a new one. If you are like me you would be buying a new one every second week. I just did a gear box on the 6m but that's after 4000 hrs of heavy use. Very few of those hours are trolling and most are pushing up flooded rivers or near shallow reefs ect.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

You have 4000 hours on that Honda Peter? that is a good advert for them I was getting a bit nervous at around 2300 hours. You must fish an awful lot ya lucky bugger
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

AM wrote:You have 4000 hours on that Honda Peter? that is a good advert for them I was getting a bit nervous at around 2300 hours. You must fish an awful lot ya lucky bugger
I don't fish as much as what I used to. In past years every week end I would be on the water and when I was doing month on month off I would fish for a week straight.

The motor has been good to us really with only one major hick up after it was serviced by a local dealer (not the honda dealer) and when they put the covers back on the leg they pinched a wiring loom. It later cut out 40nm off Dundee which wasn't fun. Apart from that just did the hydraulic trim and tilt seals and now the gear box. I expected the leg to go as it has been punished in all reality chewing mud and sand in shoal bay crabbing. It is constantly in and out of gear trolling and from reverse to ahead and back repeatedly in tight creeks so in my opinion has done well!

The only thing I don't like about honda is that if I didn't use it and maintain it constantly it would corrode away to nothing in my veiw. I don't see them lasting 10 or 12 years in my veiw. If you run them a lot I think they are a good motor if not I doubt you would like them.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Hi Peter,
The 2x 130 hp engines that I just traded on these Suzukis were 2000 models and still going nothing like gearbox or leg dramas. They were suffering from a something build up inside that the salt x was sorting out plus a in line filter on the tell gal tube kept that clear. Nothing to major never gave trouble on or off the water other than 1700 or so a year to service. That arm that the steering connects to was rusted when I got them at 10 year old and I wrapped it in denso tape and never got any worse when I checked it five years later. How many years to get 4000.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Its been on there since 2008 I think. It's given a good account of itself but has some corrosion in spots and would hate to have to undo any of the major bolts or parts as the heads have rusted off. They are all low grade steel. The steering arm bolt was about to snap on mine when I did the trim pump so it was lucky I noticed it in time. I guess it all comes down to preventative maintanance ect
AndyG

Post by AndyG »

Thanks Dannett will speak to my local solas rep here and see what he recommends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
one more cast
AndyG

Post by AndyG »

Ok so found out i am running a 11 3/4 12 G my local rep said this is more suited to. 60hp? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
one more cast