Motorcycle chain....

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Motorcycle chain....

Post by cjgp »

Hi brains trust

I have a Honda Hornet 600 and am going to change the chain and sprokets.

Using same size gear, really to ensure I cut the new chain to the right length ( so as not to waste money by having to buy a second new one to replace the too short new one) all things being equal I would really just need to count links on the old chain hey?

I am pretty sure that is how I used to do it, but I am just after some reassurance

Thanks

Chris

Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Motorcycle chain....

Post by Edo »

that is correct mate, if your chain is adjusted all the way back as in the back wheel is really close to as far as it can go back then you could probably get away with going one link less depending on how much travel you have between the very end of your adjustment and the furthest forward your back wheel can move.If your adjuster is around about the middle now with the old set up i would just make your links the same to be on the safe side.Dont forget your bike chain will tighten when you are sitting on the bike.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Just remember, the closer the back wheel is to the engine the more drive you'll get.
Also, when you put the retaining clip on, face the closed end to the motor, if you put it arse about,(open end forward) it can get popped open if the chain hits a stick or a rock flicks up.
If it's not an 'o'ring chain, lash out and get a tin of 'Duckhams' and heatsoak the chain in it, it'll extend it's useful life heaps.
The duckhams doesn't go off, so you can just put the lid back on and use it over again.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Edo is on the money, but be sure to allow for the con link when cutting the new chain.
Always a good move to get a spare con link assy, and keep it in your toolbag.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Thanks gents. I appreciate the reminders and the tips.

I will get on it on the weekend

Thanks for replying

Return to “Barramundi Banter”