Barra fishing in harbour in the cooler weather

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Barra fishing in harbour in the cooler weather

Post by disco »

Looking at the tides for Saturday I was thinking of a lazy trip in the Harbour, putting in across the morning and pulling out in the afternoon. I haven't done great in the Harbour during the warmer months, so I was wondering if there was even a point now it had cooled? Do people still get barra in there May-September? I didn't really have my boat set up during the last dry.

www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Barra fishing in harbour in the cooler weather

Post by shaggs »

You still pic them up in the shallow and rocky areas in the afternoons when the water has warmed in those areas a little
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Plenty of Barra in the harbour in the dry. They might go off the chew for a bit if the water temp drops quickly but they'll be back once they stop sulking. Spring tides are better. Like Shaggs said, areas where the water is warmer and bait congregate is where you'll find them.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Cold weather is great for sight fishing. The fish become lazy and lethargic and tend to sit higher in the water bathing in the sun so it becomes easier to sneak up to them. Good accurate casts then become critical. Cast past the fish with the intention of dragging the lure straight in front of the nose of the fish. They tend to chase the lure less so good casts are the key. As mentioned above, the gravel bottoms that hold warmth become more attractive to fish. Shallow drains and flats are still worth the effort. Drains with gravel will be the best option or clear water flats as the tide just gets out of the mangroves. Polarized sunnys and an electric motor are the key. Down size lures. Small rubbers are best in natural colors.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

All the above, also immitation small prawns as everything eats prawns. QUIET fkya is also a key so leave the kids at home lol. Think shallow water, small lures, quiet approach, light line n leader 6kg n 20lb leader, long accurate casts and you will come home with a few silver bullets.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Exactly what cuddles said. I use KO Tailbaitz Weedless to fearlessly cast in the mangrove roots
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Great stuff. Also I realised my tides app was set for shady camp so totally different tides than what I thought. But I think I will still try the arvo and give this a shot.
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails