Seajay Tropic Or Quintrex Renegade

Buy, sell and giveaway. Private sales and FFF sponsors only.
ozlad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Seajay Tropic Or Quintrex Renegade

Post by ozlad »

Cheers everyone. Will to some more research on some local plate boats and see if they compare price wise. Any thoughts on a local plate builder or am I likely to pay more again?

keep it reel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by keep it reel »

G,day,

I own a 4.9m Renegade with an 80 Yammie on the back and am very pleased so far , still haven't quite got the 20hrs up for the first service yet but am close. I find it to be powered about right with the 80hp and would reccomend one to some one else, also teamed up with an HB 898, so far is quite attractive to fish as have caught quite a few so far.
shadymad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shadymad »

Best u do some research on the battery to the hull thing,at least my renegade wont be an aspro in the water.
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Hi Guys
I'll shed some light on the whole earthing the hull questions.

It's not actually "earthing" a hull, it's refered to as "Bonding" in the marine industry. As 'Maxpower' has eluded to all electrical items must run a positive and negative wire to each individual component, with the neg. running to a common Bus Bar. The negative wire going from the battery to the hull is there to allow stray currents in the hull a path of return to the battery. Otherwise these minor stray currents will isolate through spots in the hull and escape through to the ocean (which as you will recall from basic science salt water will produce a small amount of current). These spots will create corrosion real quick. In fact if you have a SS filler this bonding is a must to stop static electricity during filling.
However if you boat realy dosn't see a whole lot of water time and you don't have a complex electrical system then you will get away without bonding the hull. But there is a method to the madness, they are not incorrectly wired by having a "Bond Strap" to your hull.

On another note if you are interested in a small plate hull then have a look at our new 4.6m we have just introduced to the line up of plate hulls, it's 4.75 overall with all the goods, and has a reccomended HP rating of 90hp. Will definatly impress. www.ntunique.com.au

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

George, with a sounder/gps connected directly to a battery, and no other accessories, is there any benefit to running a wire from the negative battery terminal to the hull ?
WIZTON63

Post by WIZTON63 »

Good Afternoon All,

I am new to the forum but have lived in the Territory for a while and had a couple of different boats. I too am looking at either the Seajay Tropic or the Renegade 4.8. I understand most, if not all of the posts on this subject are almost 2 years old now.

My recent dealing with BH Marine a few weeks ago was a positive one and got an email quote within a couple of hours.

IO Marine were up front about their prices and why. However I am aware of the underpowered package one size fits all trailer they provide too.

All that aside I am interested in which is the best hull and power setup. Quintrex rate their Millennium hull over the competition, yet mates up here love their Seajay. I have a friend that wants to off load his 4.8 SC with a Honda 60 4 stroke.

Would appreciate some honest feedback.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

4.x metre boats with 60HP motors seem to be the most popular boat up here.

It depends on whether you want the security of a new boat package, or wanting to save a few bucks and buy secondhand. It also depends on where you want to fish in your boat. That kind of setup will be fine for darwin harbour and its creeks, and wider when the weather is good.

If you know your friends boat service history, and the price is good, you'd be mad not to consider it. secondhand boats often come with a stack of accessories and customisations which you wont get with a new boat.

By buying new you will get a new boat and motor warranty, but may need to spend a couple of extra thousand on electronics and the like.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Hey mate I have the 539 tropic with a 75 honda. I was worried about her being underpowered before I bought her but she goes like a dream at 58km and uses bugger all fuel, hull is strong and my interior setup on my boat is great, big front cast deck with heaps of storage. Easily fit a swag either side of the console for overnighters. Only downside is chop she handles it fine but has more of a bash it's way through rather then some quinntrex hulls I have been in. Depends what you use it for really, they are wide and stable and I take mine wide a lot without any dramas as I don't mind getting wet and don't sit at the front anyways
Test drive both and see what suits you better mate
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

Hi I got 4.9 renegade with 4 mm bottom upgrade I bought Voyager trailer and then custom fitted out hull, 135 lts fuel , custom side console, then had quality marine fit 100 Suzuki. Very happy, very dry in rough weather and handles well.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
balthasar832
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by balthasar832 »

I've had my 2013 5.35m SeaJay Tropic with a 75hp (cable steer :'( )for a year now and just got to 120h mark before going on holidays and I do love all the space it has. If you do plan on going when it's quite choppy you may get a little wet but that happens to all. Cruising speed of 50-60 km/h is excellent and so if the fuel efficiency so I have nothing bad to say about it at all.
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

Fruity did you buy it as a bare hull from quintrex or just replace the trailer, motor, console etc?
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

Fruity did you buy it as a bare hull from quintrex or just replace the trailer, motor, console etc?
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

I just bought hull from in outboard marine, upgrade bottom to 4 mm , then modified to suit , removed cr.p plastic bins and anchor well , extend cast deck etc, new stand alone side console etc.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
jep
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jep »

Fruity have you got any photos of yours? Some showing your mods?
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

Any consideration into a 4.8m Formosa with a 90hp suzuki? How would this compare to the quinnies?