Teleflex Hydraulic steering fault?

broke deckhand
Silver Member
Silver Member

Teleflex Hydraulic steering fault?

Post by broke deckhand »

Hi all, I'm hoping that someone has had experience with hydraulic steering fault finding. Lately I've noticed that my steering is getting clunky or clicky especially while navigating in a river system at speed and it can really be arm-strong steering. It would appear to be more in the helm (but i could be wrong) The whole assembly is only 150hr.
The helm is a teleflex and the steering cylinder is a bayswater. The fluid level is full...
Secondly, if it is a mechanical/hydraulic issue are these components able to be overhauled? :captain:
Cheers in advance :drinking8:

Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teleflex Hydraulic steering fault?

Post by Wal »

Hey mate, does it clunk when under load or one direction more than the other? or when the steering feels really light?
broke deckhand
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by broke deckhand »

Wal, i would suggest that yes it is harder in one direction. the other day it "locked" and required additional rotation of the wheel. it was then that it "clunked". At idle or low speed it appears light the way it should, get some speed up the whole system tightens up.
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

Broke deckhand,

It sounds like your trim tab is not adjusted correctly (the little fin behind the prop). I think from memory if it's hard to turn right you swivel the trim tab to the left slightly and vice versa. As for the clunking it could be a problem in the helm and you might want to take it to a mechanic to double check. Or it could be something to do with having too much load or air in the system... What happened for it to lock up?
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Do a bleed first before you do anything else. 90% of hydraulic steering issues are solved by doing a full bleed.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Agree with Deepblack mine had similar issue.
Fixed with a bleed ,and top up .
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Id be starting with bleeding the system too, give me a yell if you need someone to do it
Most hydraulic issues are due to air entering the system but that will mean you should have a slight leak somewhere, most common fault I have seen in the ram leaking or back of the helm.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
broke deckhand
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by broke deckhand »

Thanks all,
I’ll start with the basics and bleed the system. I over looked the fact that the steering cylinder lines had a slight weep before the initial fault.
I'll report back after the next trip
cheers
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

most likely need am O ring kit to fix the leaks , that's where your air
is getting in.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

The lines are most likely using brass compression fittings. The "olives" the part that crimps to the lines will need to be checked for cleanliness and damage then tighten them right up. If any fittings are to be replaced use a liquid sealant not thread tape. If a line is weeping it is most likely to not only be letting fluid out but also letting air in.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.