Disco's Fishing Adventures

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Disco's Fishing Adventures

Post by disco »

Yeah but normally you can embed the link. There is even a button for it with "[youtube]" but it doesn't embed, only links

www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Ha ha Nice report : )

You forgot that Alice picked one up at the barrage at the death : )

Yeah hard work for sure. And your run of bad luck is extreme. Still, a nice trip out, shame about so many boats.......I guess one has to go further these days for a bit of peace and quiet.

I have embedded videos here before but it usually is after a fair bit of messing around. These days I just do what Matt suggests...put a link to the clip in the post.

Cheers
M
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

jeffish wrote:Great read Disco , :mrgreen:
Good onya Alice champion angler. :clap:
Mud another " dink" Think I seen this before :o

*sigh*

lengthy pause

*sigh*
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

disco wrote:Shady Camp Crowded
April 18

.......At this point there was a certain debate about what to do with the fish, I didn't realise my boat was a democracy,.........
Boat......Democracy...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're the Captain!!
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

One and half days on the Tiwi Islands
May 3 & 4

Recently friends took jobs in the school on Melville Island. We decided to use May-Day long weekend as an excuse to go and see them, unfortunately Claire and I couldn't get Friday arvo off so we had to get the Saturday afternoon flight over.

We got our permits sorted and headed over, on Sunday me and my mate spent all day in Shark Bay. He only got his boat in Easter so hadn't really got his spots sorted yet, with that in mind it was a reasonable day. He got a nice 70cm barra for dinner and I got a lot of fish, but they were all pretty small. It is pretty eerie fishing in a location where you don't see a boat for the entire day, and there are zero other cars at the boat ramp!

Some highlights include:
- tom hooking a huge groper and it getting itself wrapped around a snag. It was at the surface so we gave it a shot at netting it but it scared and ran, managing to break off his braid
- a kingfisher deciding to hit my lure, lucky I was running a weedless rig and it didn't hook it
- the mist off the water on an untouched morning was pretty nice

The next morning we headed to a billabong. We only had two hours fishing as we needed to get the ferry back. When we got there - devastation! The boat ramp had eroded so we couldn't launch. Ah well, might as well cast from the shore. A few casts and I had a couple of tarpon. Then I hooked a small barra! I yelled to my mate, excited that there were barra there, and he came running with the net... looked at me like I was stupid when he saw it was 30cm.

But anyway... soon we were hooking barra each couple of casts. I estimate that most were between 25 and 40cm. It was amazing fun. I landed two thumping saratoga's, check out the story of the trip. The biggest I would estimate to be 45 to 50... I was thinking of measuring him but got a hook in the throat so I really wanted to return him to the water asap, and the tape measure was in the car.

It is how I imagine Coroborree would have been before it became Darwin's favourite spot.

They loved a new lure, and it gave me a chance to try some lures I'm not that familiar with, like vibes and poppers.

Got:
Saturday
46, 47cm barra, mangrove jack, golden snapper, Powertail, cod

Sunday
A few tarpon, 20 odd barra, two saratogas

Story of the trip:
Banks can be hard to cast from with overhanging trees. So I threw my popper out and accidentally cast over the tree, so before I could wind I had to get the braid out of the tree. Once I did I realized I couldn't see my popper... had it sunk? Well, as I would up I discovered a saratoga had liked the look of a popper sitting there doing nothing, and had decided to hook itself!

Snap
He moved his tail to make him look smaller! :)
www.tidesandtrails.com
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

that looks like a pretty big toga. closer to 70cm at a guess.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Very jealous!
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Someone has told me that you shouldn't hold fish like that as it will damage their spine and kill them... wondered if anyone else thought that?
www.tidesandtrails.com
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Yeah its pretty well known that its not good to hold them like that, but I believe its more to do with damaging the large blood vessels around the bottom of the gills

When we go tailor fishing down south we bleed the fish by snapping the head back by hand which breaks all those blood vessels and snaps their neck, killing them and bleeding them at the same time.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Cracker fishing trips, with great reports :mrgreen:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Yeah nice fish. Always nice to have an adventure in a new area now and then
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Channel Point
May 16 & 17

Decided to head down to Channel Point to go blue water fishing for the weekend, have a camp and two days of fishing. Got amazingly lucky with the wind, I did not realise how much the boat ramp is affected by the slightest breeze.

Got down there on Saturday afternoon and launched in around 12 knots which was difficult but not too much worries. After the difficult launch I realised I had left the sounder in the car so we got to go back in. I was glad I had a poly anyway. Tried to fish the low for some Jewies on the shelf but got smashed by sharks and Powertail. Plus a goldie, which was borderline, but we were in 6 metres so decided to let him go. Mud got the best of the sharks. Headed to one of the nearby islands where Alice got smoked off a lure, but we were unable to get them to bite and we were fast running out of light.

Camped the night, it is a pretty cool place, toilets and some cold showers. Had a really clear night for the stars, I think it dropped to around 9 degrees, really enjoyed it getting down that low.

Woke up the next morning. While we were getting ready Alice decided to go for a wander down at the magroves, came back holding a sizeable buck. She's getting pretty good at chasing and catching them, little did we know that would be the best thing of the day...

We just got nothing! Hit some structure, hit some reefs marked on the map, never got a single bite. Hit the reef at about 2 metres casting some lures, got nothing. Didn't even see a fish, even a small fish. Went back and saw some birds working a section, cast some lures but they were 20cm Blue Salmon. The wind was totally dead on Sunday, it was such a shame that there weren't any fish in the ocean!

Got:
Me: Lots of sharks and Powertail, 1 goldie, estimated 30cm
Alice: Lots of sharks, blue salmon, 1 nice mud crab
Mud: The biggest shark, Powertail

Story of the trip:
Getting so luck with the wind

Boat problems:
Motor was acting pretty funny at the end, though it was pretty low in fuel. Anyway I won't be fishing for a while :( so I am going to get it serviced.

Snap
www.tidesandtrails.com
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

The first time I went there I got nothing but one powertail and 40 plus sharks. Like all places I t takes a few goes to get things right. I found fishing in around 12 to 14 m of water quite productive. Drifting too. But in saying that I have yet to crack a Jewie there yet, mostly just reefies. Big strippies which I think are really nice to eat.
Itsdaffently a spot not to give up on. I have to get back there soon.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

cool report disco ,no Dink from Mud and Alice gets the best mudie ,

great place at chanel pt ,,,,sure you'll be back :mrgreen:
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Wading through Powertail
June 20
Been doing a bit of camping and other busy work, combined with a small boat, bluewater season, and a decent wind - I haven't been fishing much. Decided to head out with Mud and Alice to Leeders creek to try to get some Jewies on the turn of the tide. We both managed to mistime what the tide would be, which meant an hour less fishing, but also an hour less on the incoming tide which was where we expected to get fish.

The Powertail were on! At the start of the day it was Powertail after Powertail, Mud termed the phrase "wading through the Powertail" as every now and again we would get a blue salmon, or a goldie. Never got the jew we were aiming for. I hooked something quite large that jumped, but it managed to bite through my 80lb mono leader.

After the turn of the tide the fishing dropped right off. Still the occasional Powertail.

Road on Leeder's was amazing by the way.

Got:
Me: Decent blue salmon
Mud: Slightly smaller blue salmon, impressive black tipped reef shark
Alice: Small goldie
All with lots of Powertail!

Story of the trip:
Not sure, my first try at fish cakes with the salmon worked out quite well. Or perhaps not being able to land the largest fish, even though it jumped we didn't know what it was.

Boat problems:
None for today, after a rather expensive service it was running like a dream.

Snap
I swear he is on an angle, definitely bigger than he looks! :P

www.tidesandtrails.com