moyle trip

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

moyle trip

Post by tugger1 »

Hi all,
just got back from the moyles
launched at Dundee Tuesday morning solo & spent the day travelling down & having a drop or two on the way for a couple of decent reefies, weather was bit crappy for putting miles away with noreast wind & swell over the top of a westerly swell left it all a bit confused till past cape ford & flattened out a bit
Met some mates down there in the 65 footer I normally drive for them & they already had a few good snapper onboard
next morning a couple of the others climbed in with me & in we went, normally park big boat outside to escape the bugs.
took a bit to find the channel as it was low tide & channel was a bit different to the last couple of years, certainly changed a lot from my charter days early 2000's
straight to a section of bank at the second island & we managed about 20 or so barra to 93cm, couple in the 80's, 4 thready's , some blue salmon & a couple of tarpon all on the first push in, did get there a bit late for last of runout, cheeky 3m croc wouldn't leave us alone, cracked him on nose with a rod tip & kept his distance after that.
back out to the boat & run down to the big moyle for a look.
took the big boat in this time as we needed a track in there in case we need to run in there in the future for any reason but bugs bad, boats air con but its a mess to clean up. up to the floodplain on the top of the tide for a look but only managed 6 swampies, nothing big
trolled the mouth the next morning low for 2 blue salmon so up to the floodplain on the start of the runin & this was better managing about 30 fish biggest 71cm but all swampies
out & run back up to little moyle for a fish on the rocks on the way back & managed a 75, a rat & heaps of blue salmon, 1 goldie & a few cod
next morning, Friday, back into the little moyle for the run out
went up a bit further on the same bank to get out of the current & started casting, barra everywhere, sighted in behind every snag, sometimes just following the lures out, sometimes smashing them, ended up with 22 biggest 86cm, one got bitten in half by a bull shark & would have gone in the 70's
kept a few for a feed & they were actually nice & clean tasting, didn't stay for the runin as the fish were feeding everywhere on jelly prawns
back to the big boat outside for siesta & hit the rocks again on the high only blue salmon & cod, one of the lads dropped a barra would have been in the 80's
Saturday morning departed about 8 & worked my way back to Dundee stopping here & there for buggerall but didn't care, good trip overall but channel point is a better launch option as it cuts a lot of travel which can be a pain if conditions not the best, wasn't open at the time
went last year but was mid may, this year timing with swing off definately better
used indicated 271 lt for 271 miles travelled but I know I had 285lt in there, rough weather made it a bit thirstier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: moyle trip

Post by AM »

Cool place I will be back after our Easter trip we had a few things going on and didn't get down to the main moyle unfortuNatly maybe next time. Good right up
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Sounds like a great trip, what size boat & motor did you run down in?

Enjoyed the read .. 8)
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

good times
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Ripper write up mate and awesome fishing. I too, am interested in the size of boat/motor
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

thanks guys
boat is an arafura 5.9 with an f200g Yamaha
check my post in "lets see your rig"page 22
uses pretty close to 1 litre per mile
cruises at 26 knots for 3800 rpm just sippin
this is the boat I'm lucky enough to go away on a couple times a year, didn't have time for Kimberley run this time, did it couple years ago, plan on taking mine to broome again this july & doing Talbot, doubtful bay
probably do Coburg on november if I make it back from west papua bass trip in October
so many choices so little time.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Wow, what a memorable trip!
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

tugger1 wrote:thanks guys
boat is an arafura 5.9 with an f200g Yamaha
check my post in "lets see your rig"page 22
uses pretty close to 1 litre per mile
cruises at 26 knots for 3800 rpm just sippin
this is the boat I'm lucky enough to go away on a couple times a year, didn't have time for Kimberley run this time, did it couple years ago, plan on taking mine to broome again this july & doing Talbot, doubtful bay
probably do Coburg on november if I make it back from west papua bass trip in October
so many choices so little time.......
Stop it!
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

I looked at buying the Maniki years ago, used to have a little submarine on the back, nice old classic freo crayboat.
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Kimberlite wrote:I looked at buying the Maniki years ago ........

What was the asking price back then (if ya don't mind my asking ?)
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Awesome trip and report mate. Well done
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

It was $330k
www.seacodemarine.com.au

tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

sounds about right
this is the second time the current owner has owned it
first time he extended the accommodation, then it got sold & had the submarine gantry fitted
bought it back removed gantry repainted it, fixed a few other things, built the barbie on deck, dinghy cradle, davit & brought it up here to retire, happy to go on a few trips a year & loves exploring so lucky old me gets to show him
boat's great uses less then 30lt/hr if speed is kept to 9 knots or so
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

$300k - very reasonable for such a great rig.

Reality kicks in tho' at even 'economical' (under 9 knots) running speed - by my calculations that's 6 hours & 180litres from Darwin to Fourcroy,
compared to my 2 hours & 65litres.

I guess when you factor in the sensational added comfort, and ability to take along a few extra punters to share the added fuel cost, we're back
in the game.

Doesn't hurt to dream ...... :smoking:
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

The boat on my avatar (which I dont have any more due to divorce) when sailed up from Freo we sat on 8 knots and pretty much trolled for 2400nm ( see my post on the trip) averaged 25lph and when down at 6 knots would sit on 15lph.

These boats when used in displacement mode are very economical but soon as you push them on the plane the $100 bills come out of the exhaust, the 55 footer I had when I sold my business had a 1000hp V12 and would do 24 knots but at the cost of 350lph!!!! (when at 10 knots did 40)
www.seacodemarine.com.au