Trailer set up advice

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Trailer set up advice

Post by balou »

Hi I just put my 580 tomahawk on a 7 m voyager trailer. ( the trailer 4-5 years old but never been in the water). I have a couple of question and hoping you can help.

Is that enough of a gap between the guard and the hull.

I had a sealink drive on before this with then 6 wobble roller at 4 points on each side. I thought it was a great system. Do you think it be better to add the wobble roller as the the pic attached to assist driving on or is this ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Trailer set up advice

Post by Lats »

Kind of looks a little bit tight to me between the guard and the hull. I think my boat has about 15-20mm but it could be less. To be honest I have never measured it
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Looks close mate but as it has the full length keel rollers that can't move on the rail system the only way I can see you will be able to raise the hull a little is to put bigger diameter rollers right through.

For now it shouldn't get any closer to the guard until your keel wears into the rollers.

Not a fan of the wobbles myself I have seen the wobble roller come off and the supporting spigot pierce right through the hull.

Skids are the safe option IMO.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Might be ok for towing around town , but reckon it will bang a bit on the dirt.
What about changing the mud guards ? I got about 60mm on mine .
011.JPG
015.JPG
013.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Looks in good condition tran clearance looks fine the only problems I can see are those 26 blue things you got on there. Sorry.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

IMG_20150419_121838.jpg
Something like this.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

AM wrote:Looks in good condition tran clearance looks fine the only problems I can see are those 26 blue things you got on there. Sorry.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Always like to err on the side of a couple less just incase the bag limit Police do a check LOL
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Drop your guards in my opinion

good luck
Cheers Craig
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

I have about an inch gap and on the corrugated roads it still manages to touch the hull, id look at maybe going a conveyor belt guard.
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

guards will start rubbing on hull
go see dave at voyager & get 2 lengths of 50 x 25 rhs & some 25mm longer u bolts & insert between frame rails & undercarriage
I would go side boards rather than rollers & get a couple of his Dundee guides, these fit between centre rollers & side boards to guide you back on the keel if surge lifts boat or you come up crooked, he'll be able to explain them
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Thanks for the advice.. Popped into voyager today and was told by doug that if you can get you finger between the guards and hull then it should never touch. Just for my piece of mind I ended buying a strip of white poly which they regularly use to give more clearance by wedging between the guard and the frame. A 30 min fix tonight which give me about 3cm clearance.

It going to cost a min of 500 for the side skids so they recommended I stay with the rollers system for now. They said to adjust them tigh to the hull and they should never break off.

I did buy a couple piece of blue skids and mounts to go from the outer roller to the keel rollers. This will help centre the boat for driving on. Voyager recommended a set on the front cross beam and the back cross beam . It was fairly expensive so I only bought one set for now . Not sure at this stage if it more beneficial at the front or right at the back. Im leaning towards the front because the voyager has the v set up to centre the boat anyway.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

3cm should be fine. I don't think I have that much and I haven't seen any evidence of dramas. Sounds interesting the suggestion for centering system but can't quite envisage what it is will see you down at dundee and check it out. Drop round before you head down on the cockroach hunt.
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

Dundee guides are worth their weight in ease-of-driving-upness
no matter how off line you are the boat just slides down onto the keel rollers
see pic of mine
run 90 degrees to rollers & same angle as hull with a bout 15mm clearance as they're not load bearing
one set at rear, one set fwd
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Thanks for the photo mate. I have set up the back Dundee skid on my trailer tonight exactly like yours. Might wait to put on the front one until a do a Dundee run. Looks like the v drive on guides on the back is about 15-20cm longer then mine.