Walk on cabin type boat

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Walk on cabin type boat

Post by mickkk »

I have always wondered why there isn't this style of hull available (hard to describe I'll let the pic explain)

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-s ... ~AdvertAge

But they do make it, and wondering why this style is not more popular?
Has any one seen or been in this style of hull?
Why are they not more popular?
Does any other boat builders use this style of hull?

Looks like it would be one of the best compromises of boat.
What would the disadvantages of this type of hull be?

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Walk on cabin type boat

Post by STANDY »

Have a look at the older haines hunter boats. Fiberglass slows the boats up in this neck of the woods

If your looking for a project boat in this style i have a old fiberglass cruise craft you can have for a few grand trailer and all needs a bit of work but
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Probably a good boat... If ya wanna take your boyfriend out for a chardonay at sunset etc...

Ill stick with me ally tinny.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Hemi, don't be such a homophobic redneck.....no self respective boyfriend, cabin boy, etc would be caught dead in a cruise craft!
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Id be afraid to drop bait on the leather, look at haines hunter if you like this style but want a good bluewater rig
Been out in a few now, bosses 760 patriot is bl..dy nice and I never liked fibreglass before but soley for bluewater, ita a weapon and holds 700l of fuel, seriously good long range boat
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I think everyone is missing the point a bit. I'm not fussed so much on a fibreglass boat, nor that this one is more for "cruising" than fishing.
But that it is a cabin boat that is a fishing deck on top. I know it would be pretty snug in the cabin. But it would be useful as I would have thought. I can not understand why there is not more boats like this design in alloy or fibreglass
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

mickkk wrote:I think everyone is missing the point a bit. I'm not fussed so much on a fibreglass boat, nor that this one is more for "cruising" than fishing.
But that it is a cabin boat that is a fishing deck on top. I know it would be pretty snug in the cabin. But it would be useful as I would have thought. I can not understand why there is not more boats like this design in alloy or fibreglass

There is mate...

Every boat out there with a casting deck is pretty much the same as this boat.. The difference is this boat is a bit fancy and has a bunk under the casting deck instead of just storage space....

Anyone could build a bunk under their cast deck.... Obviously not enough call/need for it....
Id never bother , i like open boats with space...more options..
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

The one you posted is 70k new. Fished in a half cabin like the one i pictured in Sydney all the time as could fish the winter. Great style of blue water boat for the family. Heaps of half cabins in Syd and Qld but not many up here and not many glass boats either....
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

That would work I reckon....be effing hot up here in that little cabin though!
No matter where you go, there you are!
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Hi Mick

If you are looking for one in ally then look for an 'Island Cab', that is all this is without the top half of the cab built on. Would be a fun boat to build I reckon.

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Tinny version here?

I built the deck high so I could sleep fully extended on the lower deck, and have extra storage space. The high casting platform worked well barra fishing, but the seat up there was a bucking bronco out on the blue in a chop.

The seats also plugged into the casting deck, and main deck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ambush
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ambush »

Geez thats unique matt. What's the height from the floor (standing at console) to the cast deck? Do you need a step? Also did i see a seat attached to the rear pod?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I get up by stepping on the gunwhale lockers, which now have carpeted lids. There is a chair right on the stern but not the transom ... I call it the crocbait chair, not sure I would use it now on some northern waterways, since the Bill Scott attack.

I also have mount holes for a small spring-loaded clay pigeon releaser on the top deck :)

Boat has since been reconfigured for trout fishing (and since gathering dust because of magazine and farm work commitments), but it made a good hay trailer when the hay trailer broke on hay day :catch:

Will get a new boat for travelling in due course.