Berkeley River re-visted

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Berkeley River re-visted

Post by palaran »

Not having been back to the Berkeley for 2 years it was time to re-visit. Also another opportunity to showcase the stunning East Kimberley wilderness.
I went solo in my 5.1 Noble and joining me was Matt and his brother Mike. They hadn't been back for years after they initially visited from Karratha but Matt now lives in Kununurra and we fish together.
Again we left at the turn of the high tide to use the tide to our advantage for fuel economy etc
Ready for the trip.
Matt has a 4.55 Formosa Side console and 70hp Suzuki. Must say the Formosa handled the trip exceptionally well and that Suzuki Lean Burn was oh so frugal on the juice
Weather was better than forcast and the coast was all lit up with post wet fires....
We reached the Berkeley after about 5 hours of cruising, no rush and headed up river to camp at the very upper reaches.

I camped on my boat but Matt and Mike had to camp in the rock but who's complaining?

Next morning awoke to smoke on the water....

Plan for this trip was to walk up the river to the waterfalls about 4km upstream fishing as we went.
Caught Sooties, Jacks and Barra.
Matt with the first Barra
Me with a solid Jack
Mike with the best Barra
Finally there
The next day I concentrated on Jacks. The upper reaches are full of Jacks and the water is gin clear.
I was throwing the trusty Trans am and soft plastics. Most of the day until the incoming tide slowed it was a fish on average every three casts. Was just a matter of floating along casting back into shore or along cliff walls and bouncing the lure around.
Matt and Mike join in
We were getting conflicting weather reports so decided to head to the mouth late arvo for a look out front.
Weather was good so we headed for home.
Nothing like the wind in your face as you cruise the Kimberley Coast
Sunset up the Gulf
Cant wait to get back :D

LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
siobhan88
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Berkeley River re-visted

Post by siobhan88 »

That looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to get to the Kimberley's next year. What size boat do you think you need for Kimberly fishing? Ours is a 4.3 and looking to get a 60hp is that too small to get around most places in that region? Thanks :)
because a bad days fishing ain't a bad day at all
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Some awesome pics there
Well done
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

siobhan88 wrote:That looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to get to the Kimberley's next year. What size boat do you think you need for Kimberly fishing? Ours is a 4.3 and looking to get a 60hp is that too small to get around most places in that region? Thanks :)
Not too small. It will be good for river and coastal creeks.
I know plenty of people that have cruised the coast in 4m boats.
Biggest issue here is size of tides and wind. When they compete the water turns nasty real quick!!
If you have time and can wait for good weather then it will open more options. Dry season will kill most efforts to get out in the Gulf or offshore due to prevailing SE winds.
Shoulder wet season is best weather window but it's hot here so come prepared!
Be confident in your skills and no fish is worth your life.

If you guys head over I'm happy to offer advice for your trip.
Cheers
Last edited by palaran on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

Great post! That looks like the trip of a lifetime, definitely on my bucket list!!!
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

great report. roughly how many KM's did you guys end doing.
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

It's approximately 160km from the Wyndham boat ramp to the mouth of the Berkeley.
It's 95km from the ramp to Fathom Rock which is the ocean side of the Gulf and then roughly 60km west to the mouth.
From there it's about 30km to the very top of the river. The top of the river is where Matt and Mike camped. From the picture you will see that there is a perfect spot in the rock to tie the boat up and it never gets hung up on the rocks. There is also a permanant waterfall right at that spot which is spring fed.
I camped about 1 km downstrem so I had mud for the anchor as I dont like anchoring on rock.
Pretty sure the GPS said 190km upon return.
I drop the Kota in when I fish and we concentrated on the very upper river this trip for Jacks etc.
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

WOW some great pics of a special place, how lucky are you guys 8)
Just can't stop going over this post,,, thanks :mrgreen:
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Wow, just Wow! Gods country that.
mcewansiobhan88

Post by mcewansiobhan88 »

palaran wrote:
siobhan88 wrote:That looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to get to the Kimberley's next year. What size boat do you think you need for Kimberly fishing? Ours is a 4.3 and looking to get a 60hp is that too small to get around most places in that region? Thanks :)
Not too small. It will be good for river and coastal creeks.
I know plenty of people that have cruised the coast in 4m boats.
Biggest issue here is size of tides and wind. When they compete the water turns nasty real quick!!
If you have time and can wait for good weather then it will open more options. Dry season will kill most efforts to get out in the Gulf or offshore due to prevailing SE winds.
Shoulder wet season is best weather window but it's hot here so come prepared!
Be confident in your skills and no fish is worth your life.

If you guys head over I'm happy to offer advice for your trip.
Cheers
Thanks for the info. My partner has fished around derby a bit so knows a bit about the tides. The rest we learn from malcolm douglas ;). Will be in touch when we come over!! It looks magical
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Mate great post. The lucky country.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Terrific post, what a spectacular river!
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

palaran wrote:It's approximately 160km from the Wyndham boat ramp to the mouth of the Berkeley.
It's 95km from the ramp to Fathom Rock which is the ocean side of the Gulf and then roughly 60km west to the mouth.
From there it's about 30km to the very top of the river. The top of the river is where Matt and Mike camped. From the picture you will see that there is a perfect spot in the rock to tie the boat up and it never gets hung up on the rocks. There is also a permanant waterfall right at that spot which is spring fed.
I camped about 1 km downstrem so I had mud for the anchor as I dont like anchoring on rock.
Pretty sure the GPS said 190km upon return.
I drop the Kota in when I fish and we concentrated on the very upper river this trip for Jacks etc.
Sorry that should be 390km on the GPS on return
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Great post and what great photos, thanks

cheers Craig
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member