New NT fishing regs

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

New NT fishing regs

Post by Matt Flynn »

New NT fishing regs were made legislation last night with a couple of surprises ...

*Limit reduced to only one barra per person
*All livebait fishing banned within rivers
*Small permanently closed sections on upper South and East Alligator Rivers

Bit of a surprise!

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New NT fishing regs

Post by seano »

Good one Matt.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

The Thylacine was better, ,, Although this did start to get the blood boiling a bit :rofl: :catch:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Just realised what day it is
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

So does this mean the whole thing was a hoax from the get go? Even at the AFANT meeting, phew pretty elaborate hoax though (with even Giles and Willelm in on it.)
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Yeah we got you good AM ;)
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Excellent news Tristan so if the barras aren't on duty at the Moyles from tommorrow I can still go out and get my bag limit of golden snapper heads at emu shoals unless the Sharks want those as well.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

You sure can mate!.....well at least until mid April until the new regs come in, then it's just down to three goldie heads unless the taxmen want those as well :)
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

tristan.sloan wrote:Yeah we got you good AM ;)

So I take it Lorna is still open for the time being?
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Lats wrote:
tristan.sloan wrote:Yeah we got you good AM ;)

So I take it Lorna is still open for the time being?

yep Lats ,,,But there'll be nothing left after my trip tonight :catch: :catch: :catch:
tangles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tangles »

Interesting to hear on the radio today a proposal with AFANTs support re the proposed position monitoring of commercial fishing vessels.The idea is for a signal would be sent out to authorities if the vessel entered restricted waters - aboriginal waters,restricted fishing areas etc
The commercial mob were not keen on the idea given that some Cowboys have been exposed in recent years.unfortunately the recreational sector also has some who have the same mentality
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

tangles wrote:Interesting to hear on the radio today a proposal with AFANTs support re the proposed position monitoring of commercial fishing vessels.The idea is for a signal would be sent out to authorities if the vessel entered restricted waters - aboriginal waters,restricted fishing areas etc
The commercial mob were not keen on the idea given that some Cowboys have been exposed in recent years.unfortunately the recreational sector also has some who have the same mentality

This is already in place in QLD. It would be an easy system to install and all commercial vessels in my view should have them. It would knock a few cow boys out of the system. And believe me there are a few there.

As stated though, it would need to be set up to only signal when in closed waters. Other wise the pro's will argue about loss of marks and fishing grounds privacy ect.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Its called VMS (vessel monitoring system) which sends GPS data via the ship's navigation system to a satellite and then down to a central monitoring system on Qld coast.

It's primary aim was for zone protection in Great Barrier Reef for GBRMPA although its used for other waters as well.

If VMS not working (say switched off or faulty) vessel is deemed to have committed an offence. No opportunity for pros to fiddle the system.

Pros argued similar things about privacy etc to no avail.

VMS monitors position at all times and gives real-time positions and not just when vessel enters restricted waters.

Another downside for pros was that because there was satellite stuff on the vessel, the pro was required to hold international qualifications in satellite communications even though the installation was automatic. That meant fishing downtime, training costs, travel costs for quals training.

System works though and is accepted (even if grudgingly) now.
Regards
Ronje
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

That's right Ronje, its been in place in dozens of fisheries for many years now in Oz and is extremely effective in ensuring fishermen adhere to fishing closures both location wise and seasonally as well as helping with marine safety events.

I don't think the requirement for holding satellite qualifications is still in place though, from my memory it was discontinued years ago right before it was introduced into the eastern long line fishery. These days it is simply installed by a qualified technician with the skipper only required to have a basic radio operators licenc and the VMS must be active at all time otherwise the vessel is required to return to port.

Here is a document explaining it
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... K56KRSCp6w
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »

Sounds a bit like the Sacker Trackers that my company has installed on all thier work cars