Disco's Fishing Adventures

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Disco's Fishing Adventures

Post by Mud »

Mad fun!!

Break your heart losing a horse like that....

The one your mate got was a brute!!

Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

I didn't appreciate at the time what catching a metery was, so I wasn't that bummed out about it that much, it had been such a good session. Even now... I sort of think joining the meter club there would have been like losing your virginity in a brothel. Anyone who made the trek down there and spent a day would have caught one. If I eventually join the club, it will be because I've put in the hard yards...
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Harbour fails again
April 3

The harbour is so tempting with its tiny travel times and awesome boat ramps. Since I only had about 4 hours of fishing time there were no options really. We went out and got nothing. I saw three size barra for the day

1) My third cast, he followed my zerek prawn by 1cm all the way to the boat but decided it wasn't for him
2) I hooked a fish with my lucky lures (with new heavy duty hooks) but he spat it... I can't help but wonder if the much smaller hooks would have stuck
3) A barra chased his prey right into my boat... literally the barra jumped at him, the prey jumped away and went THUD right into the side of the hull!

Got:
Nada!

Story of the trip:
Used the electric motor for nearly 4 hours, worked fine, which means the charging of the batteries has the boat running smooth, plus the pedal I ordered from the USA works great.

Boat problems:
Nothing. Though I have to moan about dinah beach boat ramp being full of tenders! Made it very hard to retrieve on the low.

Snap
Going home, still glad to be on the water

Culverts and Yellow Water
April 4
This one isn't deserving of its own write up but since I am here, a mate took me (plus both of the girls) out on yellow water, due to some mistiming we only got 1 hour of fishing in. On the way down I flicked a popper at a few culverts and didn't get anything. At yellow water Claire was very excited to see me get a fish and made me get my photo taken with it, I thought you would all get a kick out of it.
www.tidesandtrails.com
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

that's one hell of an esky mate,,good to be prepared for a hot session :catch: :D
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Haha yeah well it wasn't far off being full at Shady!

On a mate's boat once off Lee Point, we got a tuna in the morning and basically had to go home straight afterwards because it wouldn't fit in the esky. When I got my boat I thought 'never again' so that is why I wanted a really long one.
www.tidesandtrails.com
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Little fellas on the bite in the Harbour
April 6

Thought I might spend the high on a wreck fishing with bait, get a few fish, I did not realise how hard it was match up GPS coordinates. After a bit of stuffing around we bailed and went chasing barra. Should have been doing from the start really...

We caught 3 of them, but they were all undersized. Two of them were close though. A lot of life, mostly (what I think is) threadies feeding on jelly prawns. Would have loved a keeper over Easter, I think I need to do the time to travel... also my freezer is still full from Shady so I can't complain too much.

Nothing worse than taking bait and coming home empty... bait or fish adds at least 30 minutes to my cleaning-the-boat ritual.

Got:
Me: 52cm barra, approx 30cm barra
callmejoe: 52cm barra, 2 Powertail

Story of the trip:
The fuzz came by! Got a safety check by the police. Passed with flying colours of course.

Boat problems:
Nothing... and after adding that silicone spray (thanks Des!) it seems I can easily launch it myself

Snap
So close!
www.tidesandtrails.com
callmejoe
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by callmejoe »

Gee. That barra looked soooooo much bigger in the real.
Thanks for the invite out. Had a great day. Fish or no fish.
Cheers joe.
It costs nothing to smile.
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Nibble, Nibble, Chomp, Spit
April 11

The tides didn't really suit a harbour run, but I won't travel to remote locations alone, and Marko was keen for a fish but due to time constraints could only do the harbour. But I took it as an opportunity to check out a lot of places I always thought "this would be great on a high". We hit a small island first and there was plenty of life. Saw a few trevelly around, got one real good hit. Got a few small cod. Something was busting up around some rocks but we couldn't get there in time.

Then hit snags around the various creeks I fish in across the spring lows. Got a couple of good hits early. As the tide receded I had a nice queenie grab and spit my zerek prawn with a jighead, as I wound it back to the boat it went at it a second time (where I saw him) but still wouldn't hook. Just when we were about to quit I had something decent grab the same prawn and nearly pull it clean off the hook, but still, no hook up.

Got:
Me: 2 small cod
Marko: nothing

Story of the trip:
Sorry to say all the near misses. Especially that queenie, I had all the ingredients for nummus too.

Boat problems:
Nothing, pretty happy each time I take the bung out and don't get water. I might have to get rid of this section with all the luck I am having... or will that jinx me.

Snap
"Better take a snap in case we don't get anything else"
www.tidesandtrails.com
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Nice day on the water. I've got no idea where to chase barra with lures on the high tide (without trolling). Hope you figure it out!
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Try finding just covered smaller mangrove trees chucking zereks around early in the morning, And isolated bigger mangrove trees with big root balls
I've also got a few fish driving right up into the mangroves looking for dead trees and any likely looking clumps of mangrove roots
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Thanks guys. We did troll for a bit, but I don't have much idea what I am doing, and I don't really enjoy it that much. Give me the quiet lekkie and a flick rod any day.

Thanks for the advice, I suspect that I will end up in the harbour on non-ideal tides a few times throughout the year. I don't feel comfortable remote fishing by myself.
www.tidesandtrails.com
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Shady Camp Crowded
April 18

The spring-high looked pretty good for Shady Camp. Mud and I decided to head down to the same spot that we did so well on. Wow, oh wow, four weeks can make a difference. Last time there were one other two boat there, this time at 8am there were seven.

No doubt everyone has been through this before, you live in Darwin, travel 2.5 hours to a remote location, and it is bow to stern crowded.

Unsurprisingly, the fishing wasn't as good as last time.

Frustratingly, it was especially bad for me.

Looking around at the other boats, most got a fish or two, but it seems I can declare that section overfished. But who knows, things vary from day to day, maybe soon it will be going off again.

Mud hooked a very large barra, around 80-90cm at the start of the day. He fought it for a bit, unfortunately it broke through the leader. I suggested the drag wasn't loose enough (see previous Shady story) but I guess these things happen, I think he is going to start rocking 80lb mono.

When the tide turned and started dropping they came on a bit more. Alice got the first fish (had to pass it to Mud for a second to get it from under a snag, see video) but she was pretty happy getting the first fish of the day. Mud soon hooked a fish and handed the rod over to Alice, she didn't have too much trouble getting it in, a nice 67cm barra.

At this point there was a certain debate about what to do with the fish, I didn't realise my boat was a democracy, and it was let go.

Another fish was hooked which wrapped itself under a snag, my guess from the jump was around 55-60cm.

Other than that I was standing there casting for 6 hours straight with nothing to show for it!

Ah well, always next time.

Got:
Me: Nothing, two hits, but zero hook ups
Alice - Mud's daughter: 1 58cm barra, 1 67cm barra
Mud: Nothing, though hooked the 67

Story of the trip:
The way that that tiny stretch that we found last time had turned into nav-point-alpha for most of Darwin.

Boat problems:
Went great! Pretty happy these days

Snap

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moPU6Q1Jt7U
(Check the video out, I can't post them on here, Matt is it my issue or yours?)
www.tidesandtrails.com
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Great read Disco , :mrgreen:
Good onya Alice champion angler. :clap:
Mud another " dink" Think I seen this before :o
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Saw the video on FB Mud. He's all sorted now Jeff. He got the good oil from Backcast about leaders
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

No problem posting video here Disco but if it is over a certain file size may be rejected, far better to post a link to YouTube as they are better set up for video files.